Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Slitting saw arbor - low profile

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools

Slitting saw arbor - low profile

I had seen several slitting saw arbors prior to purchasing a wide slitting saw blade. I did have the usual thin blades but only recently decided to make the arbor.

I wanted to allow close cutting to a surface that may be parallel with the blade, so I designed it with the low profile you can see in the images. This is nothing really new, only a possible variation on what has "gone before".

I made the blade registration hub as part of the "cap". This allows the use of various blade widths. The cap body is longer than others I have seen. The cap slides within the main arbor to cater for any variation in blade width and to allow the cap screw to be fully recessed into the cap - for low profile reasons.

The sizes were arbitrarily based on the piece of stainless steel I had on hand. The only important dimension is the shaft that was turned to 20mm to fit an ER40 collet.

The remaining sizes were set using the TLAR method. (That Looks About Right).

I could if desperate reduce the thickness of the cap flange as there is enough clearance between the flange and the end of the cap screw.

I reduced the diameter of the cap screw slightly to make this a sliding fit in the cap. I think this helps in keeping the arbor running true.

Slitting saw arbor - low profile-slitting-saw-arbor-2.jpg Slitting saw arbor - low profile-slitting-saw-arbor-3.jpg Slitting saw arbor - low profile-slitting-saw-arbor-4.jpg
    Slitting saw arbor - low profile-slitting-saw-arbor-5.jpg Slitting saw arbor - low profile-slitting-saw-arbor-1.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Peter Sanders; Mar 5, 2016 at 02:04 AM. Reason: deleted duplicate title

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter Sanders For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (Apr 28, 2018), Jon (May 24, 2016), kbalch (Mar 5, 2016), nova_robotics (Mar 8, 2024), Paul Jones (Mar 5, 2016), PJs (Mar 5, 2016), scoopydo (Mar 8, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Peter,

I like your design with the blade registration hub as part of the "cap". This makes it more universal.

Thanks, Paul

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Paul is right; that is a clever design nuance. I wish I had incorporated it into the one I made. If I ever make another I will.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    Thank you for the feedback and compliments. I have admired many of your creations Marv :-)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Peter! We've added your Low Profile Saw Arbor to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: Peter Sanders' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

bstanga's Tools
    Wow great minds think alike!

Slitting saw arbor - low profile-2015-07-17-16.41.47.jpgSlitting saw arbor - low profile-2015-07-17-16.39.40.jpg

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bstanga For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 9, 2016), PJs (May 23, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thanks Brian, I have all the back issues of "Home Shop Machinist" since the 1990's and will have to look at the one from Sept./Oct. 2014. I missed seeing this article. Regards, Paul

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Nice design. Turning down the head of the cap screw makes nice & compact.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information