Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Slitting Saw Arbor..Precision..Near flush cut

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Slitting Saw Arbor..Precision..Near flush cut

I had this import slitting saw arbor but it had more runout than I liked. So off the the lathe.
    I made this new one based on some ideas I found on the web including commercial ones.
    It will approach the top of the vise by about 0.162" which betters my original by about 4 or 5 times.
    I had cut the import down as much as I could but it was still too large.

I had seen one that simply made an arbor and them drilled the slitting saw for some flat head screws
    which cuts flush. I may need to do one of that type some day but this works for now.

Using a 1.250" chunk of hot rolled mystery metal I made a new one that is a very close fit.
    The retaining bolt is a 3/8-16 allen cap screw and so far it works quite well and gets up close.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slitting Saw Arbor..Precision..Near flush cut-img_1086.jpg   Slitting Saw Arbor..Precision..Near flush cut-img_1088.jpg   Slitting Saw Arbor..Precision..Near flush cut-img_1093.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (May 2, 2017), EclecticNeophyte (May 3, 2017), Paul Jones (May 2, 2017), Seedtick (May 2, 2017), Tule (May 4, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Slitting Saw Arbor to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 2, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Another parallel project JR to what I've been contemplating. I have a import slitter saw arbor that while runout is ok, the retainer is thick like your original. Of course it was in the way the last time I used it and wondered a couple of things.

I guess the retainer is so thick because they have not idea what you're going to try and cut with it. Mine also is stepped to take different size ID holes so it makes it so you can't down the retainer too much. But why don't any of the affordable arbors have a Keyway to take advantage of the key slot in the saw blade? I wondered how much you could cut down the retainer if you had a key? Seems like most of the torque of cutting would be taken care of and it would take minimum thickness of the retainer. Knowing you, you have already explored this.......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 2, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Another parallel project JR to what I've been contemplating. I have a import slitter saw arbor that while runout is ok, the retainer is thick like your original. Of course it was in the way the last time I used it and wondered a couple of things.

I guess the retainer is so thick because they have not idea what you're going to try and cut with it. Mine also is stepped to take different size ID holes so it makes it so you can't down the retainer too much. But why don't any of the affordable arbors have a Keyway to take advantage of the key slot in the saw blade? I wondered how much you could cut down the retainer if you had a key? Seems like most of the torque of cutting would be taken care of and it would take minimum thickness of the retainer. Knowing you, you have already explored this.......
    In a hobby environment you may not want a key. Slitting saws are brittle and hang up easily. With a key that means a broken blade.

In an industrial setting where centering, alignment, speeds and feeds are under tight control, a key probably makes sense. In Garaj Mahal I'd rather have the saw slip then be buying saws in gross lots.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 2, 2017), Mark Fogleman (May 2, 2017), Paul Jones (May 3, 2017), Toolmaker51 (May 3, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Hmm, never noticed any slip, but I've never marked so I could observe slip. Another of those noob assumptions I guess.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 2, 2017)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Hi guys and thanks for all the comments. I did not use a key based on one build where
    the builder stated that the clamping action of the hub was good enough to prevent slipping.
    I am conservative in my feed speed and have never had any slippage that I knew of.

In my build I have a 3/8-16 cap screw holding a very beefy hub to the arbor and with the
    slip fit, (quite tight actually) it is centered so much better than the import that all of the
    teeth get their chance to cut.

So far I do not see a need for a key.

I think the motor on my mini mill would "slip" a few steps before the saw blade would slip.

Cheers, JR

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 3, 2017)

Supporting Member EclecticNeophyte's Avatar
    Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Great design. I also have a runout problem with the arbor I purchased. This looks like a good solution, and will add it to my ever growing project list... -EN

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EclecticNeophyte For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 4, 2017)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Electric, I made it to get the better blade clearance but the best part is
    that it is concentric and runs true. Large improvement in the import especially since
    I only use 1" diameter blades.

I will be looking forward to see your version.

Cheers, JR

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Hmm, never noticed any slip, but I've never marked so I could observe slip. Another of those noob assumptions I guess.
    I'm with mklotz on this one, with manual machining you are likely better off without a key. If the blade binds you want to stop as quickly as possible, but even doing so the blade can still shatter before you hit the stop button. Even so the cutting action of the blade often tightens the clamping mechanism so tight it really doesn't matter if there is a key or not.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 8, 2017)

Thread Information