Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Slow Round Bale Hay Feeder

Thanks

Imabass's Tools

Slow Round Bale Hay Feeder

I have horses and I choose out of convenience to feed round bales in lieu of square. Basically a horse will stand and eat way more than they need if given unlimited access to hay. This is expensive and the only benefit is additional manure for the garden.

I came up with the design in the pictures. The box is 6.5’ x 6.5’ to accommodate the largest bales out there. There are 2 doors that swing outward for loading hay bale and the other 2 sides fold down. The sides are lined with standard cattle panels and the horses reach in and pic out smaller bites of hay at a time. As they eat the bale, gravity pulls the sides that fold down onto the bale. I added a 12’X12’ roof to keep the bale dry and mold free while they eat the bale. There is also an axle and removable tongue for moving the feeder around the field.

I built this a few years ago and I would consider it a huge success. By placing a bale on the ground, the horses will eat through it in 5 days. When using the feeder the bale will last 9-10 days. That has reduced my hay cost by about a $1,000 per year.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Why buy it if you can build it.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Imabass! We've added your Round Bale Hay Feeder to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: Imabass's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information