Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small Adjustable Lathe Carriage and Milling Stops

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Small Adjustable Lathe Carriage and Milling Stops

These adjustable lathe carriage and milling stops are for my small Unimat SL1000 lathe that has a 3” swing. The carriage stops were incorporated into the riser blocks attached at each end of the lathe. The stops are made from 3/8” thick 6061 aluminum and the limit rods are 0.250 dia. O-1 drill rod. The adjustable stops slide and lock along a section of 0.250 dia O-1 drill rod that extends from one end of the lathe to the other.

Small Adjustable Lathe Carriage and Milling Stops-unimat-left-right-carriage-stops.jpg Small Adjustable Lathe Carriage and Milling Stops-adjustable-carrige-stop-using-0.25-inch-o-1-drill-rod.jpg

This longer part of drill rod is held by setscrews and supported by two aluminum blocks which also serve as supports for the x-axis 2” throw dial indicator (designed to be used at either end of the lathe). The following photos show how the adjustable stops and stop anvils are lock to the drill rod using 8-32 cap head screws. I also included photos showing how the slits were machined using the Unimat milling capability. Gage blocks were used to measure the initial distance of the slitting saw to the milling table before lowering to the appropriate slitting height using a digital dial indicator I previously installed on the z-axis.

More photos and information about the Unimat modifications can be seen at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...00-lathe-10111 .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small Adjustable Lathe Carriage and Milling Stops-finishing-indexing-plate-adapter-close-fit-plate-id.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Jan 1, 2017 at 10:14 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Jan 21, 2020), Home-PC (Mar 19, 2021), kbalch (Aug 4, 2014)

Thanks

Catfish's Tools
    Nice , that is a small lathe.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Catfish For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 13, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

The Unimat SL 1000 is very small - see this photo

Catfish,

You are correct about the the Unimat being a small lathe. There is not a lot of room for working with your hands. Attached is another photo of the same milling plate where I am setting up a part to mill a second flat on one of the toolmaker mini jaws (see my other post on making these jaws). You can see the size of the lathe relative to my thumb in the photo. In the photo I am using a very small Starrett toolmaker double square and a precision 30-60-90 triangle to measure for the 120 degree angle. These are small tools but look large in the photo relative to everything else.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Lathe Carriage and Milling Stops to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 13, 2014)

Thread Information