Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Drawknife

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Mikhandmaker! We've added your Drawknife to our Woodworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mikhandmaker's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools

Xyz

I have a couple

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Jun 10, 2018 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Trying to delete duplicate post.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Rorschach - I have a couple of quality planter blades about 14 inches long that I salvaged thinking that they might make good knife blades. I gave one of them a bend test and was surprised that it bent quite easily. Bent at least 10 degrees and didn't return or snap. You may find that the shaped tangs will be easy to bend.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Rorschach - I have a couple of quality planter blades about 14 inches long that I salvaged thinking that they might make good knife blades. I gave one of them a bend test and was surprised that it bent quite easily. Bent at least 10 degrees and didn't return or snap. You may find that the shaped tangs will be easy to bend.
    Was that heated or cold? If it was cold they could be carbon steel. Mine are definitely HSS and won't bend. I know for certain because when I wanted to use a small piece for a tool, I put it in my vice and hit it with a hammer and it snapped clean off.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Bent cold, bright and shiny, ground finish, looks like HSS to me. Came from a ship repair planer where cost didn't matter, so I was expecting HSS and expecting it to snap.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Bent cold, bright and shiny, ground finish, looks like HSS to me. Came from a ship repair planer where cost didn't matter, so I was expecting HSS and expecting it to snap.
    Interesting. Maybe due to the size it was deferentially hardened so only the edge was hard and the rest was softer. I know mine are hard throughout and won't bend and take a lot of work to grind into shape.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    You may be right about being deferentially hardened. Perhaps these blades, that are chip free and sharp, have been sharpened so many times that the hard edge has been removed, and perhaps that is why they were being thrown away.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    They may also have been carbide blades, they only have a small strip along the cutting edge, if that had been sharpened away you would be left with a tough but malleable steel.

Thanks

Mikhandmaker, I so enjoyed your video and will try to make myself one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhandmaker View Post

I have always been fascinated by tiny woodworking tools so I have decided to create my own collection. I have started with a small drawknife using an old file and a broken hanger for the handles.

Although the result is perfectly valid for being used, my idea is to keep it as a part of a future wider collection.

If you like the video please Subscribe to my Youtube Channel

Materials
    • Old file
    • Hanger wood
    • Brass rod
    • Cyanoacrylate

• Annealing is a process in which heat is used to soften metal to improve its malleability and make it easier to work.

Attachment 24125
    Mikhandmaker, I will begin to follow your fine work. I so enjoyed the video. Will try to make myself one soon. Woodsmith1951

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    NICE job!!!!!!!!! Question tho, as you call it a "Pull Knife" doesn't that make it more a Spoke Shave? (I might be thinkin' of another tool thats very similar tho.....)

In any case IMPRESSIVE work for its size!!!!!! And a NICE finishing touch on the handles!!!!

Thread Information