Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small Lathe Tailstock Camlock

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools

Small Lathe Tailstock Camlock

Got tired of tightening that single bolt that clamps the tailstock to the bed of the lathe so I decided to do something about it, nothing fancy or new, just a cam, shoulder bolt, lever, knob and a little machining on the tailstock housing, the photos below shows the general principle.

Thanks for looking
    Doug

Small Lathe Tailstock Camlock-1.jpg Small Lathe Tailstock Camlock-2.jpg Small Lathe Tailstock Camlock-3.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Mar 5, 2019), Paul Jones (Mar 4, 2019), Seedtick (Mar 5, 2019)

Thanks
    instead of that I took a ratshit rench and fitted to mine,it cant come off.I slightly put a bend in the stud/bolt to hold tension on it, but a good wavy washer would also do just fine. most every asain lathe Ive seen get tight & loose and feel rough when sliding the tail stock.Ive found that making a scraper like a "T" slot scraper/cleaner you can clean all the bondo,grit,&paint from under the bed where the clamp slides and it's somuch smoother and eazyer. all of those lathes are full of bondo&dirt to fill voids left from the casting proses in the guys back yard.( you can pull up video's of them casting the cast parts in thier back yards/ empty lots) I wish they would add a little more iron and renenforsements and a little less bondo. but.....it is what it is and it aint gonna change. thesr small lathes are oh so flexable. well my 9x20 is about 4x as flexable as my 7x14.....I would be happy if the 9x20 was as ridged as the 7x14...oh so happy. but it is what it is.and...thats what it is.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    I know that your life is much easier now. No more wrench use. Nothing can't beat camlock.

Thanks

Tailstock lever.

Quote Originally Posted by rossbotics View Post
    Got tired of tightening that single bolt that clamps the tailstock to the bed of the lathe so I decided to do something about it, nothing fancy or new, just a cam, shoulder bolt, lever, knob and a little machining on the tailstock housing, the photos below shows the general principle.

Thanks for looking
    Doug

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	425 
Size:	357.0 KB 
ID:	28554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	28555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	28556
    Thanks Rossbotics !

I have a 9x20 lathe, and I found a similar tailstock modification for that lathe at Steve Bedair website.

No free plans, but some dimensions were provided, and a lot of pictures, for those who can be interested in such a building.

Regards.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yves78 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2019)

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    instead of that I took a ratshit rench and fitted to mine,it cant come off.I slightly put a bend in the stud/bolt to hold tension on it, but a good wavy washer would also do just fine. most every asain lathe Ive seen get tight & loose and feel rough when sliding the tail stock.Ive found that making a scraper like a "T" slot scraper/cleaner you can clean all the bondo,grit,&paint from under the bed where the clamp slides and it's somuch smoother and eazyer. all of those lathes are full of bondo&dirt to fill voids left from the casting proses in the guys back yard.( you can pull up video's of them casting the cast parts in thier back yards/ empty lots) I wish they would add a little more iron and renenforsements and a little less bondo. but.....it is what it is and it aint gonna change. thesr small lathes are oh so flexable. well my 9x20 is about 4x as flexable as my 7x14.....I would be happy if the 9x20 was as ridged as the 7x14...oh so happy. but it is what it is.and...thats what it is.
    A couple years ago I did something similar to what your talking about and it worked ok too, but I decided to make something a little more efficient, this cam also has a spring between the clamp plate and the tailstock housing keeping them separated, it slides very smoothly up and down the bed and doesn't hang anywhere.

Doug
    Doug

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2019)

Thanks
    I agree your way is eazer/faster than fliping the lever&pulling or pushing the rench.but my way took less brains to build........ great work!!! ( i WAS GONNA DO IT YOUR WAY, BUT my way was fast& eazy witch I needed at the time) Ill probably change mine at some point, whoo knows how long threads will last....china cheep threads..

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    You're right Mariner, it sure made a big big difference

Doug
    Doug

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Your welcome Yves78
    The cam lock isn't at all complicated, as you can see in the first photo i'm reaming and counterboring the hole for the cam, very simple design

Thanks Doug
    Doug

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rossbotics! We've added your Tailstock Cam Lock to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: rossbotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information