Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small Machinist Jacks for "What's in your box? 2016 Tool Giveaway"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Small Machinist Jacks for "What's in your box? 2016 Tool Giveaway"

Now that there are thousands of members to HomemadeTools.net - Encyclopedia of Homemade Tools, I am sure others are contributing tools to this year's 2016 "What's in Your Box" tool giveaway hosted by Keith Fenner on his YouTube channel.

This year I decided to make the small machinist jacks and accessories I had previously featured on HMT at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...st-jacks-19843 . The new versions are made from 1144 Stressproof steel and parts of the accessories use O-1 drill rod for added strength. These jacks also have the retained 0.250" ball bearings near the bottom of the top hole in the jack screws. The ball bearings provide a smooth surface for rotating the accessories.

Small Machinist Jacks for "What's in your box? 2016 Tool Giveaway"-small-machinist-jacks-accessories.jpg

Small Machinist Jacks for "What's in your box? 2016 Tool Giveaway"-view-retained-ball-bearings-set-into-top-machinist-jacks.jpg

I also tried something new by milling the v-groove to one of the accessories using my geared head lathe and a fixture that clamps in the QCTP. The fixture locks the part in place with a M8X1.25 dog point set screw and proved to be very strong and helped produce a smooth finish using the power cross feed. This way only a lathe is required to make these machinist jacks.

Small Machinist Jacks for "What's in your box? 2016 Tool Giveaway"-fixture-holding-parting-when-machining-v-groove.jpg

Small Machinist Jacks for "What's in your box? 2016 Tool Giveaway"-machining-v-groove-machinist-jack-accessory-made-o-1-drill-rod.jpg

The "What's in your box?" tool giveaway that also includes several machinist toolboxes is a very worthy event and a wonderful opportunity for others to contribute.

Regards,

Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Jun 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 26, 2016), Harvey Melvin Richards (May 24, 2018), high-side (Feb 25, 2020), jjr2001 (Sep 26, 2016), Jon (Sep 26, 2016), PJs (Sep 27, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Excellent design and execution Paul Jones, and correct quantity too.
    The whole set is A1, cylindrical bodies, lock nut, Vee, ball, large and small flat contacts, and a handle too. Knowing pitch of the jack threads, can interpolate adjustments via 'counting' flats on screw portion. Good choice of material as well. Sometimes cast Asian, and case hardened Starrett's bases don't 'adhere' to granite or iron for one handed operation, irritating on light weight parts. Completely interchangeable, configuring into any situation I can think of. Occasionally I have to assemble 3 different jacks, especially on valve castings. Usually can't get through a day with just 3, critical for inspection; especially surface plate leveling.

If I don't get into a shop soon I'll be in the weeds to contribute in the Fenner tool drive. That won't make me happy. I keep thinking what it'd be like to have tools from all over and such a variety of folks.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 27, 2016)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Toolmaker51,

I have the original set I designed and built, and these have served me well but I discovered some "improvements". The set for the "2016 Tool Giveaway" incorporates these improvements and much easier to make the second time around. The knurled lock nut can be removed if the space is too narrow to fit the jack with the knurled nut still attached, and the handle can also serve as a thread lock because the side threaded hole goes all the way through to the bolt. As you pointed out, I selected the 20 threads per inch to allow for a way to estimate an adjustment knowing the thread pitch.

Thank you and good luck with finding the shop where your talent will be used and appreciated.

Paul

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Okapi (Sep 30, 2016), PJs (Sep 30, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Paul Jones! We've added your Machinist Jacks to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Hi Paul;

Nice work there, you have given me a few ideas with respect to some jacks I need to make!

Also thanks for supporting What's in Your Box! I'm becoming acutely aware of how badly the various crafts are suffering right now from the lack of new blood. If WiYB Spurs interest in the various crafts then it is a very important service to the industry. Only becoming recently familiar with Kieths efforts I haven't decide upon how to support that effort yet.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 1, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 30, 2016)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    wizard69,

The WiYB cause is a worthy endeavor. During the first two years of WiYB tool giveaway I provided some funding to help pay for shipping the tool boxes to the winners. This year I decided to put some sweat equity in the game by making my own tools. Keith has a list of the tools typically needed for the WiYB list at his TurnWright Machine Works website and besides theany new or used tool would be welcomed (see The suggested Machinist Tool List for the Giveaway Toolbox | TurnWright Machine Works ). However, time is running out because drawing will be around the first week in December 2016 and we know how time flies by.

Thank you for your comments about the jacks and a very easy project to do. I could be even more a heat treating step or bluing the steels

Regards, Paul Jones

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 5, 2017)

Thanks
    Hi everyone,

I'm the amazingly lucky guy who actually has received these jacks in my WIYB toolbox award! Paul, thank you, these are SO amazing. For those considering joining the Maker effort for WIYB (or any similar craft-supporting endeavour) I wholeheartedly encourage you to do so! We, as a society, are in desperate need of competent craftsmen (and craftswomen). One significant barrier to entry is the difficulty and expense of tooling up; but for those deemed worthy as in WIYB it's an incredible shot in the arm... not just in tooling but also in terms of a ringing endorsement of effort! I will be working with Pierre Beaudry and Phil Desjardins (creators, with Robert Corriveau, of the most desired hammers of 2016) on a group submission to WIYB 2017.

Thanks again, Paul, and see you around here!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MakingSense For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 2, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 2, 2017), PJs (Jan 5, 2017)

Thanks
    Paul
    That is over the top. Excellent work, there is nothing more I can say, they leave me speechless.
    Nelson

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Hi Paul
    I watched your video series on the WIYB/2017. It was awesome to see how much money you guys have donated to the WIYB project. I am a brand new apprentice machinist, and am self studying since my Master Machinist Passed away. It is incredible what you can do with a machine originally thought up in the dark ages isn't it?
    Thanks for all you guys do for everyone
    Josef Refuses2go

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Now that there are thousands of members to HomemadeTools.net - Encyclopedia of Homemade Tools, I am sure others are contributing tools to this year's 2016 "What's in Your Box" tool giveaway hosted by Keith Fenner on his YouTube channel.

This year I decided to make the small machinist jacks and accessories I had previously featured on HMT at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...st-jacks-19843 . The new versions are made from 1144 Stressproof steel and parts of the accessories use O-1 drill rod for added strength. These jacks also have the retained 0.250" ball bearings near the bottom of the top hole in the jack screws. The ball bearings provide a smooth surface for rotating the accessories.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Machinist Jacks and Accessories.jpg 
Views:	1122 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	13994

Name:	View of Retained Ball Bearings set into top of Machinist Jacks.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	13995

I also tried something new by milling the v-groove to one of the accessories using my geared head lathe and a fixture that clamps in the QCTP. The fixture locks the part in place with a M8X1.25 dog point set screw and proved to be very strong and helped produce a smooth finish using the power cross feed. This way only a lathe is required to make these machinist jacks.

Name:	Fixture for holding parting when machining v-groove.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	13999

Name:	Machining v-groove in machinist jack accessory made of O-1 Drill Rod.jpg 
Views:	743 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	14000

The "What's in your box?" tool giveaway that also includes several machinist toolboxes is a very worthy event and a wonderful opportunity for others to contribute.

Regards,

Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Charron63 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 22, 2018)

Thread Information