Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small parts clamping fixtures

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools

Small parts clamping fixtures

Small parts clamping fixtures-01_hmt_clamps.jpg

Here are three fixtures I use to hold small parts for machining additional features. They use different kinds of home made clamps.

Small parts clamping fixtures-02_watchmakerlathewithslottingattachment.jpgSmall parts clamping fixtures-03_slottingattachmentdrawing.jpgSmall parts clamping fixtures-04_1904bscatp202screwslottingdevice.jpg

The hinged clamp is for holding screws on the rocker slide for slotting on my lathe. It has easy-to-make replaceable jaws so I can clamp different diameters up to about 3/8”.

It doesn’t lock and just works by leverage by feeding the slide upwards with one hand and pressing the top jaw down with the other.

Small parts clamping fixtures-05_horizontaldrillwithtoggleclamp.jpgSmall parts clamping fixtures-06_toggleclampcableclamp.jpgSmall parts clamping fixtures-07_toggleclampdrawing.jpg

The just-completed sideways toggle clamp is for holding round parts on a mill or drill press. It has the same kind of replaceable jaws as the slotting clamp.

It works either with the regular handle, or with a foot pedal by hooking up the bicycle brake cable and engaging the torsion spring. The clamp has about 1/32” range of adjustment by rotating the eccentric toggle pivot pin that’s farthest to the right.

Small parts clamping fixtures-08_routertablewithdoubletoggleclamp.jpgSmall parts clamping fixtures-09_doubletoggleclampdrawing.jpgSmall parts clamping fixtures-tctest.jpg

The upright toggle clamp goes on the sliding table on my router. The angle iron base has a vertical fence for attaching temporary wooden fixtures, and this mounts to a slotted base plate that I tapped in lots of places.

The clamp has a couple extra links in order to apply downward pressure along with the usual sideways force to position parts more consistently, as well as to keep them in place during upward plunge cuts, also operated by a foot pedal with a cable.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by threesixesinarow; Jul 4, 2018 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Add diagram

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Jul 3, 2018), DIYer (Jul 5, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 21, 2020), Jon (Jul 3, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Jul 8, 2018), Metallurg33 (Oct 27, 2018), mr mikey (Oct 28, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Aug 4, 2022), NortonDommi (Jul 6, 2018), Philip Davies (Aug 11, 2023), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 4, 2018), PJs (Jul 5, 2018), Ralphxyz (Oct 21, 2023), rlm98253 (Oct 26, 2018), rossbotics (Jul 4, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 3, 2018), Sleykin (Aug 14, 2020), thevillageinn (Jul 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2023), winmac (Oct 17, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 403 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Made a lot of those things over my years, great job

Doug

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Screw Slotting Fixture to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: threesixesinarow's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Sideways Toggle Clamp to our Clamps category,
    as well as to your builder page: threesixesinarow's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Upright Toggle Clamp to our Clamps category,

Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Thanks, Doug,

That’s reassuring! I just figured I was missing something obvious when I couldn’t find more off-the-shelf solutions.

Ones that fit, anyways!

Nice job on your replacement jaws for the Craftsman vise - I need to copy them.

Small parts clamping fixtures-78483243-c475-4bbb-ac20-b51338323a4c.jpg

- Clark

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 5, 2018)

Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Small parts clamping fixtures-5914365d-34c6-4a87-af9d-aac3a80c907e.jpg

Pedal for the sideways clamp

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    I particularly like the wooden wedge, very elegant, is there another component with it? I enjoy looking at your pictures of fine machinery, but the wedge is the only thing I can make.

Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    I particularly like the wooden wedge, very elegant, is there another component with it? I enjoy looking at your pictures of fine machinery, but the wedge is the only thing I can make.
    Hi, Philip,

I think the piece you mean is a stationary spacer that’s c-clamped to the vertical face of the base so the part can index off of a corner. The toggle arm clamps the part against it as well as the horizontal base of the fixture.

Here is what those parts look like at a later stage, the fixture was used holding them to cut the round bottomed slots on the glued on cross grained pieces.

Small parts clamping fixtures-a2350cef-5cbc-480d-abb8-bc5690f5e496.jpeg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Aug 15, 2023)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    And I thought you had only made one!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information