Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements

Thread: Small parts cups

Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 995 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Small parts cups

When I disassemble intricate mechanisms I like to keep the small screws/nuts/etc in a little dish on my workbench so they don't get lost. If retrieving the items from the dish with your fingers, said dish should not have any corners lest the items get trapped there and are impossible to pick up.

The domed bottoms of aluminum drink cans work perfectly in this application. Mark the bottom of the can with a Sharpie held on a block of wood (a la a height gauge) and cut with a cutoff disk in a Dremel. (It's very difficult to get a nice clean cut (so the cup isn't tilted in use) with scissors.)

I find that the resulting cups are too light as is; they tend to flip easily if bumped. My remedy for this is to run a bead of glue around the inside circumference of the cup bottom, then fill with bird shot. After the glue dries, pour the unglued shot out and save for the next cup.
    Last edited by mklotz; 07-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

DIYer (12-17-2015), Jon (12-16-2015), kbalch (12-16-2015), mudnducs (12-16-2015), Paul Jones (12-16-2015), PJs (12-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks mklotz! We've added your Small Parts Cups to our Storage and Organization category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Great idea! You should also glue a magnet to the underside so that a careless bump won't cause all your parts to go flying. Another useful idea would be to have a tray for the parts cups so they can be carried around without emptying them.
    Justin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Gasal For This Useful Post:

Jon (12-17-2015), PJs (12-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 995 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Gasal View Post
    Great idea! You should also glue a magnet to the underside so that a careless bump won't cause all your parts to go flying. Another useful idea would be to have a tray for the parts cups so they can be carried around without emptying them.
    Justin
    A magnet will magnetize the small parts and make it very difficult to pick up just one at a time. That can be very annoying.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,465 Times in 1,737 Posts
    Great first post Justin - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

There are many ideas for addressing the problem of losing small parts, but the soda can mod is definitely a clever one.

Seems like the simpler or less expensive the tool, the more I appreciate it. One of my favorites is this Tape Measure Modification; punching holes in a tape measure for increased marking accuracy. There's a comment on there for using the same concept to convert a tape measure into a jig. For crying out loud, the "tool" is just a hole! But I really like it.

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 173 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

173 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information