Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small Parts Finger Plate

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Brendon's Tools

Small Parts Finger Plate

Small Parts Finger Plate-finger-plate-1.jpg This is a small brass finger plate I made recently for holding small parts. Handy little tool for drilling, sanding etc.
    It measures 2 1/2" x 2" x 5/16" thick.
    Small Parts Finger Plate-finger-plate-2.jpg It is ground dead flat top and bottom and the sides are all ground square. It can be held manually at drill press or sander or clamped into a vise or even clamped down onto a mill table with small finger clamps. A fun tool...
    Here is a picture of the tool being used at the drill press, holding a small bar. In this case the finger plate would be held literally by the fingers but I have kept my hand out of the picture for clarity.
    Small Parts Finger Plate-finger-plate-3.jpg
    The possibilities of this little tool are endless. It can be used for drilling small parts of odd shape at the drill press as we have seen. It can itself be held in a vise if required. Sanding and shaping of small parts at a sanding belt is also possible. Filing by hand or at a filing machine, if you have one, is another possibility. One could even us it at the scroll saw to keep the fingers away from the work.
    There is no set size for a finger plate and you can customize your own to suit what you do. Clock-makers, model-makers and anyone dealing with small parts, whether they be of metal, wood or plastic, will find this tool indispensable.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Brendon; Jul 26, 2017 at 05:10 AM.
    Visit my blog at www.waneyedgeworkshop.com

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Brendon For This Useful Post:

Charron63 (Nov 30, 2017), garage nut (Mar 1, 2018), high-side (May 6, 2020), HobieDave (May 12, 2020), HUMARIA (May 8, 2020), Jon (Jul 25, 2017), LMMasterMariner (Jul 27, 2017), mklotz (Jul 27, 2017), Paul Jones (Jul 27, 2017), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jun 27, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 25, 2017), StephenL (Sep 3, 2017), thehomeengineer (May 7, 2020), Wahtash7@msn.com (Aug 4, 2017), zarembak (Mar 1, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Nice work! Good to see you back in action. For those who haven't previously seen Brendon's work, he's a 6-time Homemade Tool of the Week winner, with these tools:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Brendon's Tools
    Thanks Jon,
    For your kind comments.
    Yeah! I was out of it for a while due to ill health. Trying to get back in now but not allowed to lift anything heavy.
    Thus, the small tools project. It's nice to be back in the shop though...
    Brendon

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Brendon – Thanks for sharing your finger plate. Kudos on the quality of your machining work. I also want to compliment you on the versatility of your design.
    The one thing I'd like to know is the approximate size you built it and what types of "small parts" jobs you have successfully used it on so far.
    Not that size needs to be any special amount. I see your design being successful for a variety of sizes from 1" square (for a Unimat or jewelers lathe) up to anything you can lift on to a machining table or fixture. As well other materials that may be appropriate for your needs.
    I would even consider 3d printing of smaller versions out of the common PLA plastic they use especially if your work is more "eye ball" than precision measurements. 3d printing enables you to customize the groove or some other "nest" for the part being machined, or otherwise reshaped. Add metal thread inserts or bottom side nests for hex nuts if threading the weak material is a problem.
    Ed Weldon, Los Gatos, CA

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Brendon's Tools
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks for your comment and yes to everything you suggest.
    My plate is 2.5" x 2" but any size is possible. I haven't really used it yet as I have just finished making it. But the possibilities are endless
    with this thing.
    A finger plate dos not even have to be square necessarily; it could be any shape that suits your requirements.
    Have fun making one.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Brendon! We've added your Small Parts Finger Plate to our Workholding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Brendon's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Brendon's Tools
    That's great guys,
    Thanks
    Brendon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brendon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 27, 2017)

Thanks

intjonmiller's Tools
    Nice! It looks a lot like the one by Clickspring:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intjonmiller For This Useful Post:

HUMARIA (May 8, 2020), PJs (Mar 2, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Brendon's Tools
    Hey!
    Thanks for your comment. I take it as a compliment. Yeah! mine is a little similar I suppose but Clickspring's version has a more elaborate shaped clamping finger, a "V" slot at the back rather than my "U" slot and he incorporates drill guide bushings. I did study his (and others) before settling on my own design. My version also has a small clamping slot on each side which I don't see in his. Clickspring makes really nice stuff though and makes fantastically clear videos. I often log onto his site; really cool.
    Thanks again for your interest.
    Brendon

Thanks

intjonmiller's Tools
    Yeah, I noticed the clamping slot as the most obvious difference. I think I'll have to incorporate that when I make one. I'm wanting to do the handheld vise thing first, but really I don't have time for anything...

Thread Information