Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small Rotary Mill/Drill Fixture

Thanks

astroracer's Tools

Small Rotary Mill/Drill Fixture

I built this little guy back in the mid-nineties to machine model car wheel centers. It simply clamped up in the cross-slide vise in the drill press and I would rotate it by hand to drill lug nut holes and make spokes in the wheel.

As you can see it has a bit of a patina problem. Taking it apart you can see it is pretty simple. A small 3" chuck (Sherline I believe) a 3/4" dia. spindle threaded for 3/4-16 on one end and a turned block with a bronze bushing pressed into it.

This shows a wheel center I made. It is kind of rough in the lug nut areas and is a reject piece. I made this table to solve the roughness issue. Never had a problem holding the pieces with this.

This was used in the drill press and, now that I have the FrankenMill, I decided to fix it up a bit and do some of the stuff that I couldn't when I didn't have the tools. The first thing I did was mill off a couple of flat spots so it will clamp square and sturdy into the mill vise.

Continued in next post

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:

Alan Purdy (Aug 3, 2019), Danielt43 (Jun 11, 2016), davewhit (Sep 5, 2018), j.bickley (Nov 25, 2017), jjr2001 (Nov 5, 2016), kbalch (Mar 6, 2016), PJs (Mar 9, 2016)

Thanks

astroracer's Tools

The second thing I want to do is replace this clamp screw with a ball set screw for automatic detents.

But first I need to make an adapter spindle so I can fit this 3" chuck to my H/V rotary table.
    That's another story.
    Mark

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:

Alan Purdy (Aug 3, 2019), C-Bag (Mar 6, 2016), Danielt43 (Jun 11, 2016), jjr2001 (Nov 5, 2016), Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2016), PJs (Mar 9, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks astroracer! We've added your Rotary Mill Drill Fixture to our Model Making category, as well as to your builder page: astroracer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:25 PM.

Thread Information