Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small spoke cutting guillotine of cutter plans required or a complete tool.

Thanks

Small spoke cutting guillotine of cutter plans required or a complete tool.

Hello, i am looking to stop the damage i am doing to my elbow in using a small hand pull bench mount guillotine, after cutting 200 to a 1000 spokes my elbows get the term tennis elbow or repetitive strain syndrome i call it wheel builders elbow now,

I noticed on the start of the QUEST TV program a spring being made from extruding through a die forming the spring, then a small cutter simply activates to cut the spring off at the prescribed length, has any one here designed one or made one and has plans or know of a working one i could acquire, making of this for me is not a problem if i can get plans.
    thanks in anticipation for your thoughts.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    There are many ways of approaching this but I think if anyone is going to be able to help they would need a little more information.
    A pic of your set up would be useful, do you intend to modify what you have, what gauge of spoke are you working with car, motorcycle or bicycle.
    I restore motorcycles so this has my interest.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Just like Olderdan stated a little more information would be helpful By knowing the gauge (dia.) of the spokes the materials that the spokes are made of then if you wanted I could design you a pneumatic cylinder activated rotary guillotine cutter where you wold simply poke the spoke through a hole or lay it in a slot then a mating knife would rotate to shear the spoke.
    pretty simple design but not without a little more data
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Hi the guage of the wire is 2 mm to 5mm and is piano wire and equivilant in stainless steel, these are motorcycle and car spoke i am cutting to length. i have tried to upload pictures and it keeps failing to do so. even read and watched the instructions and it keep failing..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thersby View Post
    Hello, i am looking to stop the damage i am doing to my elbow in using a small hand pull bench mount guillotine, after cutting 200 to a 1000 spokes my elbows get the term tennis elbow or repetitive strain syndrome i call it wheel builders elbow now,

I noticed on the start of the QUEST TV program a spring being made from extruding through a die forming the spring, then a small cutter simply activates to cut the spring off at the prescribed length, has any one here designed one or made one and has plans or know of a working one i could acquire, making of this for me is not a problem if i can get plans.
    thanks in anticipation for your thoughts.
    When I worked in the machine shop, they used a power hammer, with cutting dies to cut small stock like your talking about. You can google power hammer plans. You may have to buy or have some one make cutting dies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mike hansuld For This Useful Post:

Thersby (May 15, 2017)

Thanks
    hi mike thanks for that information

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information