Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Sounds good! Surprising it will draw chips but smoke from a foot or so will definitely work.

Snack...Let me guess...chips and salsa...

PJ
    Yep, Chips it is with Salsa!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 19, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Paul, I think you are on to something. A little googling shows there are HEPA filters as well as activated charcoal filters of the same general style.

http://a.co/d/aBVUEOu

JR great idea and execution!

Bob

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebuilder1954 For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Sep 22, 2018), PJs (Sep 23, 2018)

Thanks
    mine is a little bigger... it's a 2 speed squirrel cage fan from a ac system sucking from a 2' wide by about 28" tall box with multiple filters in it(5 I think) and it's in a box under my "porting bench" for porting cylinder heads. witch has a grate on top and filter under it too befor it go's down to the other box to pull through those filters. ti filter out all the porting dust and keep me breathing clean air as well as keeping me cool!!! I als turn it on when I run my blasting cabnet witch has a shop vac connected to it but as we know,no blasting cabinet seals very well...so it is sucking hard and blowing and getting the air nice and clean. I wish I had it 30 years ago when I was doing that kind of work for a living every day. I just use good home ac unit filters in it.( not the blue straw useless kind, the paper fabric kind that gets allergens,dust&whatever, not cheep but not expensive either. my assembly room is 30 feet away and the main ac unit is in the engine build/ assy room so I dont want it sucking any dust from where ever. it works awesome.I use regular formed Formica counter tops in my shop eazy to clean, built in back splash and cheep when you get a broken/ damaged one's. the blower came from my brother he does ac refrigeration for a living. the filter box is just plywood with windows for mounting the filters that slide in to channels made form wood moldings. simple cheep and extremely effective. my 34x24 shop is built like a house wuth bathroom, kitchen aera, build room, shop area room with race car and the porting room with the blast cabnet,all porting tooling, valve grinding equipment etc and cabnets for stuff...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Good use for a fram filter. Just don't use them in your car.

Thanks
    Ive seen nothing rong with the fram that dosent happen to other filters. most is internet blabber or somebody blaming something on a part that is not at fault but the person more than likely is." it wasent the guns fault you shot off your big toe, as the sites were dead on" Ive had 1 fram mishap in a racing condition @210 mph, the filter housing seperated from the base....... good thing it was at the end of the run. but with the few hundrad fram filters Ive used&instaled only 1 issue...aint bad. and Ive cut many appart for inspection...no problem inside either. but Im not saying they are superrior to any others either. everybody knows wix filters. from gastonia North Carolina,a american company made in the usa!!! well I bought a case of wix filters 2 years ago..... MADE IN RUSSIA. HARD TO SEE IT BUT THATS WHAT IT SAYS!!! so I contacted wix..... yup they have outsorced to Russia!!..aint that sweet!!! it gave me a warm and fuzzy fealing knowing the good $$$ I spent for those wix filters went to good use...in russia. but they assured me they were made to wix std's.... ASSured me.... and STD....ASS& STD. thats about right. atleast the frams have where they are made in readable print. MEXICO!!!ole!! and no STD"S!!!(I HOPE)

Thanks
    as for the home filters I use I use a few different brands. but you need to always look at the filter where it meets the cardboard frame. many are not sealed/glued worth a poop. and some are only glued at 2 ends!!!! those are poop!!! sofar the arm&hammer brand has been good as well as another I cant remember.there are many diferent ratings ( personaly i think most are a scam) . for my home I have 3 differnt sizes for the 1 unit I like good filteration and no restriction thus 3 filters/2inlet ducts/grates.prefiltering and 1 final filter. I use the expensive highest rated filtration ones and they work well but still do not get everything... or my house would have no dust.........in florida....ya right. the cheep pleated filters usualy are only glued on 2 ends leaving the sides...open to suck through.not good.Ive never seen a fram like that.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Well, things may have changed but I doubt it. Most of what I speak of is from my own ex periance. Mechanic and shop owner for 36 years.

Thanks
    Ive been building and machining and racing for well over 45 years, and Ive seen many dead filters.but...not the filters fault. there are many things that can kill a filter.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    For sure. I'm talking about normal service. Anyway, I suggest folks use what they want in their vehicles.

Thanks
    most dont have a clue what is on thier vehicle and dont care....it's the coffee filter that matters.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 5, 2019)

Thread Information