Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench

Since setting up my inside shop the need for a way to collect fumes from CA (super glue) and oil smoke from the cutting process was evident.
    I was going to use house type air filters and cut them to fit my fans but then the light went on and I thought why not use a ready made Fram air filter for my car?

So we have an inexpensive desk/bench top air filter. Able to suck in tall stacks of smoke from soldering or turning with oil on the lathe.
    CA fumes will be pulled into the filter and away from me.

I found the 24 vdc 235cfm fans at Allelectronics for $18.00 each. The power supply is 4-24vdc from eBay and the fram filter from my car.
    Wood and masonite as found in the shop.

Fans run quite and move enough air to suck in and trap a lot of smoke or fumes.

Cheers, JR

Just added the carbon mesh filter to the front instead of the back. I think it will work better there where it can grab some small chips and I can always use the shop vac to clean it up a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench-img_1983.jpg   Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench-img_1984.jpg   Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench-img_1985.jpg   Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench-img_1986.jpg   Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench-img_1987.jpg  

Smoke Eater (Air cleaner) for the bench-img_1988.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; May 17, 2018 at 03:50 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

bukwessul (May 16, 2018), gunsgt1863 (May 16, 2018), Jon (May 16, 2018), JRock (May 16, 2018), kboy0076 (Jan 5, 2024), Paul Jones (May 16, 2018), PJs (May 16, 2018), rlm98253 (May 16, 2018), rossbotics (May 18, 2018), Seedtick (May 16, 2018), sossol (Dec 23, 2020), Tonyg (Jan 4, 2019), Tuomas (May 15, 2018)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Could you provide a better description or part number for that Fram air filter "for your car"? I would like to see the specs on it. What does it take out of the air and what does it just pass through.

I am planning a system for my 3D printer and I figured that only an outside exhaust would remove all the objectionable substances from the air from the enclosure. I can see the value in your system in that it directs objectionable substances away from your face. I have often wanted a system like that while soldering as the flux makes a smoke that contains heaven only knows what. But for the 3D printer I would want complete removal of both particulates and any vapors generated. If you have a filter that will do that, then I would like to use one: that would save making a vent hole in my office wall.

2000 Tool Plans
    Paul A.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 17, 2018), Paul Jones (May 17, 2018), PJs (May 17, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Hi Paul, the filter is a CA10242 air cleaner for a passenger car. The specs may be out there but I have no idea where.
    I also have some carbon activated mesh that I will add to the exhaust for a little more filtration.
    This is not meant to replace a OSHA certified air filter for noxious gasses. Just my little device to help control fumes and dust particles in the shop.
    I would never rely on it to remove poisonous gasses!...

Cheers, JR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 17, 2018)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Thanks for the information. I will try to look it up. I am curious as to what it does do.
    Paul A.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 17, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Benchtop Air Cleaner to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    JR,

I like your shop set in a spare room of your house. It looks like a clean setup for an instrument/modelmaker shop or clock making shop. One of these days you will have to gives us a tour.

Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; May 17, 2018 at 07:33 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 17, 2018), PJs (May 17, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Paul, One of these days I will make some videos for the Sherline tools.
    I did post this: http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/n...556#post110896
    The last picture even includes some swarf as requested by Captain Lee...
    (No chips on the floor and no salsa)!!!

Cheers, JR

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 18, 2018), PJs (May 17, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    JR, I'm with Paul on your shop setup and the chips and salsa from your other post...Really Nice! I love that far side parting post!

Nice build on the filter. It has plenty of CFM available based on the curves for the fans, but like most box fans they only have a Max .77InH20 @ 0 CFM per for a static rating. That being said and you being right about getting specs on that filter...ISO/NFPA = NA there is no way to know where you will be on the Static/CFM curve in the end, so it can only be empirically (nose/dust) tested or with some kind of flow measuring device. Curious how far out from the inlet can it pull smoke and fumes? I also applaud you for adding the carbon mesh filter downstream as it should help considerably with solder and oil fumes.

Sounds like it's working fine so far and the nice thing about your design is that if you find the pleated filter is too restrictive or not working as well as you want it, it can easily be changed to another type of the home made variety with cloth and stuffing. I've often thought of making a small snorkel system using a good sized fan like you chose...up close and personal to the work...just never got my Roundtoit out of my pocket.

Thanks JR!

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 17, 2018), Paul Jones (May 18, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks PJ, I just added one picture to the first post. It shows that I put the carbon mesh filter on the front of the unit. Hides that orange filter color.
    That is not why I put it on the front. I thought it would be easier to vacuum up small chips there than from the pleated filter.

Ran two smoke tests with the filter on and off. Both tests pulled all the smoke from a match into the filter. The match was located at the lathe tool bit and it was obvious that all the smoke went to the filter inlet. I think it will work good while turning.

Now back to my afternoon snack!

Cheers, JR

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 18, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Sounds good! Surprising it will draw chips but smoke from a foot or so will definitely work.

Snack...Let me guess...chips and salsa...

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 19, 2018), Paul Jones (May 18, 2018)

Thread Information