Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: socket extentions with handles

Thanks

sossol's Tools

socket extentions with handles

I wondered why Sears doesn't make the 6" extension with a handle in anything but the 1/4" drive. They don't, so I did. I made my first two a year ago, but didn't want to post them because they look like rubbish. They were just experiments and they were for me, so appearance was secondary to function.

These are two that I just finished today as Christmas gifts. As gifts, appearance was more important than it was for mine, so I took way more time on the finish.
    I made them from Craftsman bottle openers and 6" Craftsman socket extensions. I started with the bottle opener because it is easier to pull the shank out (heat it a bit and it slips out) than does a screwdriver. I built a jig to hold the handles vertical in my drill press, then carefully drilled it through until it was a tight interference fit.
    The jig was made out scrap wood. I have photos & video if anyone wants to see them, though anything that holds it vertical without spinning or scarring it will work.
    Next step was to chuck the socket extension with the handle into the drill press and cut the palm knob off with a coping saw.
    Next I used part of a golf club shaft and cordless drill to shape the cut end with a belt grinder, which was followed up by a round of hand sanding and shaping up to 800 grit. I also sanded the bore a little to knock down any errant gouges. No need to get it smooth. More on that later.
    The last step of the shaping handle was to flow the re contoured end with a heat gun, alternating with dips in cold water to counter sag until it had the factory gloss. A quick denim buffing and they were ready.
    The final step is to completely coat the bore with 2-part epoxy and shove the extension through. This squeezes out the excess epoxy and forces it into all of the scratches in the bore. I used crystal clear epoxy for the first two that I made, but went with standard yellowish epoxy this time. Wiping the excess away leaves a nice radius of epoxy between the handle and extension, further hiding any evidence of tampering.
    The handle end is bored out a little wider to let the extension sit into the end. I think that it looks better, and makes a nice pocket for epoxy.
    Adding texture to the extensions would strengthen the bond, but it holds well enough to spin bolts/nuts in, which is their purpose. It's mostly to enhance the friction fit.

It would have been a lot easier & cheaper to make handles from scratch or use opaque handles, but I wanted them to look like factory-made Craftsman items. The polysomethinorother material of these handles is amazing to work with, but very unforgiving. This is a thermoplastic with a narrow working range between solid and blob. I learned that the hard way on my first few attempts. See also the melted end of the unfinished 3rd one.

socket extentions with handles-socket1.jpg socket extentions with handles-socket2.jpg
    socket extentions with handles-socket3.jpg socket extentions with handles-socket4.jpg

Neil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

chevysman21 (Feb 22, 2016), kbalch (Dec 23, 2014), Paul Jones (Dec 24, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks sossol! I've added your Socket Extensions to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: sossol's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    I wouldn't mind getting those as Christmas gifts. Good job!

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
    Thanks!

Neil

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
    me neither ...
    Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

Thanks
    If you're taking orders, I'd buy a set.

Might be a nice side biz…

Ken

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Fantastic details on the steps for making these and I also learned several new techniques along the way. Nice presents to give and receive! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Nice idea and project. I'd be interested in a set too!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information