Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Something Slow When Pages Load

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools

Something Slow When Pages Load

I have two Plans for sale on this site and I try to check the threads on those Plans on a daily basis. I also read other threads that catch my attention. There is a very aggravating thing when I go to a new thread. I go there and the page appears on the first post in that thread. So I start to scroll down (or up) to view the last post in that thread. But just about the time I get there the page jumps back to the point where it first loaded. This is the first post in that thread. So I have to scroll down (or up) again to get to the last post in the thread.

This is very aggravating.

I visit other BBs that use the same or similar software and do not see this behavior. I have to think that there is some element on your pages that is somewhat slow to load. So when that final, slow loading element finishes loading the page automatically goes back to the designated opening position for that page. Couldn't something be done to either have that element load faster or to eliminate that final repositioning of the scroll bar?

The above is my main point here. But I will say one more thing that is somewhat related to it. This IS in the BB software. When I started to sell my Plans here I wanted to see the last posts in those threads when I opened them up. I have not used this feature of BB software before now, but I tried it. It is of no use. Yes, the last post is shown at the top of the page, but then the page still loads with the FIRST post showing. So I still have to scroll through the entire thread to get to the last one. WTH? (What The Heck?) Duhhhhh! And to use a expression I absolutely hate, changing that is a complete "NO BRAINER"! I hate that expression, but it sure fits here.

I said this second point was related to the first. I find that the re-scrolling to the initial opening position on the page happens regardless of which setting I use for the order in which the posts are listed. So, that setting does not provide any relief.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    OK, could be a couple of things. What exact link do you click to view the thread?

Regarding pages jumping around, my first thought is that it's related to urls with a fragment identifier, which is the hash symbol and the part following it. A link with a fragment identifier signifies that the browser window should scroll to the named location. So, for example, these three links all point to different posts, but on the same page:

HFT Belt Sander Handle fix
    https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/hft-belt-sander-handle-fix-54298#post79702

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/hft-belt-sander-handle-fix-54298#post80383

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/hft-belt-sander-handle-fix-54298#post80444

My guess is that the page is loading, there is a lag, and then the fragment identifier is being analyzed to scroll the page. I will add, if you've only noticed this lag in the past day or two, it may be related to some server updates I've been doing.

Also - we sent payments for October sales out on December 1st, but we don't have your PayPal payment address. We have your payment waiting for you; sent you an email about this.

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information