Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Speciality hammers

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Speciality hammers

Making your own hammers can be fun. For delicate work, I made this one with interchangeable heads made from a variety of materials - steel, brass and aluminum - and with various head shapes.

However, my favorite style is the dead-blow. These three are made from sections of pipe. A threaded 3/8" rod passes through a clearance hole and threads into the opposite side of the pipe. Brass and steel heads are pressed into the ends and the pipe is filled about two-thirds with bird shot before the handle is threaded into place.

The small one on top is for light work. The larger one in the middle is my "persuader". The blinged version at the bottom was done for my wife's jewelry work. One end accepts copper pipe terminators so the hammer doesn't leave metal smears on copper jewelry.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 6, 2017 at 08:02 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 12, 2019), benkeller3 (Oct 30, 2017), blkadder (Oct 31, 2017), high-side (Dec 10, 2019), Jon (Aug 29, 2015), kbalch (Aug 31, 2015), Moby Duck (Mar 4, 2017), PJs (Sep 2, 2015), rlm98253 (Oct 30, 2017), Sleykin (Oct 31, 2017), that_other_guy (Dec 12, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Mar 14, 2017), Trojan Horse (Nov 1, 2017), Tule (Oct 31, 2017), whitebear (Jan 31, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanks mklotz! I've added your Specialty Hammers to our Hammers category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Hey mklotz, is there some sort of bushing that helps locate the hammer heads in the top photo. I really like that set you've got there.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
    Hey mklotz, is there some sort of bushing that helps locate the hammer heads in the top photo. I really like that set you've got there.
    Each of the hammer heads has a clearance hole for a 1/4" SHCS in the middle. The top of the hammer handle has a flat-bottomed U-shaped groove (just visible in photo) into which the hammer head just fits. Then the SHCS locks the head to the handle. The whole arrangement is more than rigid enough for the light duty for which these hammers are intended.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 2, 2015)

Thanks
    Marv
    That is too cool. Very nice and great idea. One handle many heads, works for me.
    Nelson

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    Marv
    That is too cool. Very nice and great idea. One handle many heads, works for me.
    Nelson
    Thanks, Nelson. I have many hammers but most of them have conventionally shaped steel heads. If the job at hand requires alternating between different hammer styles, having separates is the way to go.

However, I find that, for most fine, modelmaking work, a single hammer is used for most of the job. What is more important is having the desired shape and hammer material. Multiple, interchangeable heads fit this usage perfectly. Plus, specialty heads can be cobbled up quickly; most hobby hammer heads don't need to be hardened.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

robhk (Nov 20, 2017)

Thread Information