Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill

Hi All
    I was making a toe lift from some square box section today and wanted the ends to be machined This was to aid the welding in getting everything upright and square.
    I did a sort video on the technique I use and hope some will find it useful for their own future projects.

Milling box section direct in vee blocks, for alignment of vee blocks please see:http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...make-use-67263

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill-img_1586.jpg

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill-img_1585.jpg

Spreading the cutter wear evenly while machining box section on a mill-img_1587.jpg
    Using a machine stop to cut several piece to the same length

I thank you in advance for taking the time to view the short video and hope you found it to be useful.
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Apr 6, 2018 at 04:22 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

basil3w (Apr 5, 2018), bigtrev8xl (Apr 5, 2018), chy_farm (Apr 6, 2018), rlm98253 (Apr 4, 2018), Seedtick (Apr 4, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Box Section Milling Method to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Not only less cutter wear, and avoids long engagement of vertical sections; highly possible the results are more square wall to wall [adjacent OR opposing sides] and closer to a single flat plane...Less cutter deflection.
    So even if an incline is desired, milling across the corners delivers better results, just as thehomeengineer demonstrates. A swivel vise not required; just clamp at angle[s] desired.
    Now, if only we didn't utilize so much 1.5 x 4 rectangular tubing job wise. On those, I bevel-sand vertical sections [shorter] a bit beyond [higher] where milled walls [longer] that are horizontal will be.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Apr 7, 2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Not only less cutter wear, and avoids long engagement of vertical sections; highly possible the results are more square wall to wall [adjacent OR opposing sides] and closer to a single flat plane...Less cutter deflection.
    So even if an incline is desired, milling across the corners delivers better results, just as thehomeengineer demonstrates. A swivel vise not required; just clamp at angle[s] desired.
    Now, if only we didn't utilize so much 1.5 x 4 rectangular tubing job wise. On those, I bevel-sand vertical sections [shorter] a bit beyond [higher] where milled walls [longer] that are horizontal will be.
    Another advantage of this method are larger deepth of cuts can be made.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information