Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Starting Holes On Domes and The Ends of Rods

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Starting Holes On Domes and The Ends of Rods

A common way to get a drill to start at a specific location is to first use a spring-loaded punch to make a small divot. This holds the point of the drill in place until it can start cutting. If you have more than one hole to make, switching between drill and punch can get tedious.

Here is an alternate approach that can be fabricated in seconds. It handles a range of dome sizes and also works on the ends of rods.

If you are interested, please see

http://rick.sparber.org/Drill_Guide_...ome_or_Rod.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 28, 2020), baja (Aug 28, 2020), basil3w (Nov 17, 2018), Corm (Jul 24, 2018), Jon (Jul 23, 2018), Moby Duck (Jul 23, 2018), Paul Jones (Jul 23, 2018), PJs (Nov 18, 2018), ranald (Nov 16, 2018), rossbotics (Jul 24, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 23, 2018), Steved53 (Nov 17, 2018), suther51 (Jul 23, 2018), Tonyg (Nov 17, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 16, 2018)

Thanks
    Will have to remember this. Now if there is a trick to starting a concentric hole in a broken bolt that would be the cherry on top!! Have usually had difficulty eyeing center when the broken thread makes the bolt shaft look oval. Thanks
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 23, 2018)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    Will have to remember this. Now if there is a trick to starting a concentric hole in a broken bolt that would be the cherry on top!! Have usually had difficulty eyeing center when the broken thread makes the bolt shaft look oval. Thanks
    Eric
    Eric,

I don't see why this tool wouldn't be able to center a drill on the end of a broken bolt as long as the bolt was not bent. The threads shouldn't matter.

Rick
    Rick

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

rossbotics (Jul 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Quite so if the bolt is proud of the surface, my difficulty has been more with flush or just recessed situation. Could be an indication of my impatience with such situations. Thanks
    Eric

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    Quite so if the bolt is proud of the surface, my difficulty has been more with flush or just recessed situation. Could be an indication of my impatience with such situations. Thanks
    Eric
    I haven't tried these yet so they may be totally worthless:

What about placing enough 5-minute epoxy in the hole so it domes over. Drill a piece of scrap bar with the same diameter as the hole. When the epoxy is firm, place the scrap's hole over the dome. The dome should provide alignment in the hole. Then drill down until a divot is established.

A related idea is to use plumber's putty in the hole and strike the top so it is flush with the surface. Sight through the hole in the scrap to center. Then holding the bar firmly, start drilling the divot.

Rick
    Last edited by rgsparber; Jul 25, 2018 at 07:55 AM.
    Rick

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Dome Head Drill Guide to our
    Drilling and Drill Presses
    category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Great idea for a handy drill jig!

Even if the bolt is proud of the surface, and the end flat, I don't think the cone will provide good centering because of the helical nature of the thread forming the locating surface. I would expect it to be off center by something less than a thread height. Maybe close enough, but less accurate than use on a dome or flat ended rod. But a similar purpose built tool could be made to encompass the threads for location (if enough thread).

I've used a similar approach to drill out bolts broken flush (or below) just by making what amounts to a limited use drill bushing with scraps of steel. The problem is holding location while starting the drill, so it's of limited use depending on context. Most often I've used a round bur on a die grinder to provide a pip for starting. And more often still, for larger automotive/tractor size bolts I mostly deal with, welding a nub buildup for grabbing with vise grips. Heat shock helps in many cases too.

In any case, I often find myself needing to remove/relocate brackets riveted to frames in my desert trucks. And pre-drilling the head for knocking off with air chisel is always a mixed bag for success, particularly when some areas don't have good open visibility and access. You can bet I'll be making one of those in steel for future use! I sure could have used this when I was cleaning up the frame for my current build a few months ago. Thank you!
    Last edited by Baddog; Aug 30, 2020 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Wow, I saw this on one of the site emails, but didn't notice the date.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information