Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steel rolls roll off truck bed - GIF

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Good Lord. What you'd expect to see if that coil had just fallen out of the sky.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Not sure it's wire on that spool. Could be just plastic pipe...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

trinketman's Tools
    There is an interchange I55-70 near troy Illinois famous for high center roll overs and lost coils. The state spent a bunch of money re-designing it to be less of a problem. Typically 7 chains on a coil.

Thanks

trinketman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I swear one can find ANYTHING on the web. Curious about the weight of a roll of steel, I Googled and found...

Steel Coil Weight Chart

which says, if I'm reading correctly, that a coil 12" wide and 48" in diameter (close to what I see on the road around here) weighs around 5000 pounds (2.5 tons).

No wonder you never see the trucks carrying more than two. Most of the time I see them with only one, but I have seen them with two, although it's been too long ago to remember dimensions.

On edit...

I used my WEIGHT program to calculate the weight of a steel washer with the following dimensions...

ID = 20 in
    OD = 48 in
    thickness = 12 in

and it came back with ~18000 in^3 for a weight of 5089 lbs which is in very close agreement with the result obtained from the table. IOW, there isn't much difference between the rolled steel and solid steel which seems intuitively correct.
    I loaded them at the mill. minimum 5K to 45K

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    rated for 60,000 lbs in 10 feet does not mean it can haul even 40,000 in just a few inches. Toolmaker 51 is correct the large coils are normally loaded over the axles or the pin. A coil of this size needed to be over the center of the forward axle of the group this would have still transferred some needed weight to the tractor but not put extreme stress on the weakest section of a trailer, the area right in front of the most forward suspension mount.
    Been away from home a few days, mainly peeking in, during lulls between visits. Looking at the pic, 60k Frank S mentions seems appropriate. I missed that's a double drop deck trailer, ie lowboy definitely suitable for loads with a big footprint. But lower means less ground clearance; smaller and/ or not so curved beams AND a flat deck.
    Somebody missed the load appraisal, that coil looks a bigger diameter than usual, but so much to interfere at a bridge or doorway. . . ?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Wouldn't the load have been much better if the spool was rested on the side over a wide area versus the two edges of the spool? I can't tell from the photo if it would be way oversized widthwise to do so. It definately looks though that it was loaded forward of all the axles. Over the axles is where it should have been located!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    Wouldn't the load have been much better if the spool was rested on the side over a wide area versus the two edges of the spool? I can't tell from the photo if it would be way oversized widthwise to do so. It definately looks though that it was loaded forward of all the axles. Over the axles is where it should have been located!
    you may be talking about 2 separate instances 1 the spool rolling down the highway, and 2 the coil of steel. Coiled steel is almost never hauled laying flat unless it is narrow, and then only if it will dimensionally fit a standard 42x48 pallet or come close as in 48" in diameter otherwise narrow coils under 18". wide are often banded together to become a wider coil. Trying to lay one of those huge coils of steel over without them becoming a telescope is both dangerous and difficult.
    Real thin gauge sheet metal coils usually arrive in various widths depending on the user's specifications our sheet metal coils for the C purlin machine would arrive from the mill then since we did not have a slitter and a re coil machine we sent them out to be sliced to which ever width was required for the size purlin run we were doing we would often have several sluff coils of under 2" sometimes as narrow as 1/2" but mostly we tried to calculate a run of the next wider or narrower c purlins or a combination of widths when the coils were sliced to prevent this. There is not a lot of call for a 1000 meter long strip of 12 or 13 mm wide 2mm thick material.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 21, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 20, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Just happened today in Central Ohio. Amazing there was just minor injuries.
    As with most news videos, the link does not have much information. ODOT (Ohio Department Of Transportation) posted the photos.
    https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-new...nty/2016780354

Steel rolls roll off truck bed - GIF-truck-crash-2.jpg

Steel rolls roll off truck bed - GIF-truck-crash1.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 21, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Captioned as yesterday in Hamilton, Ontario.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...e_fullsize.jpg

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 11, 2019), Drew1966 (Jul 10, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 13, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 10, 2019)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    In the trucking industry this is known as hauling suicide because a roll usually comes through the cab in the event of a quick stop. Most flat-bedders haul the rolls turned 90º to prevent this. I hauled suicide once (my first time - didn't know any better) and I used every chain and strap that I had onboard and drove slow and carefully the entire way. Going into the mill to get them was a memorable experience - most of you've never heard anything like a couple of 16" carbon arc rods going into the pot to melt a batch of steel.

In that picture the rear axles have a 10' 4" spread between them so the rear axle set can carry more weight than the front axles (which are close together), because there's a span between the two rear axles.
    Last edited by Crusty; Jul 10, 2019 at 03:33 PM.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 11, 2019), Drew1966 (Jul 10, 2019), Jon (Jul 10, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 13, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 10, 2019)

Thread Information