Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: stuff that becomes tools

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

stuff that becomes tools

In repairing the frame on a 2007 Ford Ranger I have used many things that were made for other things as ntools to do something entirely different than what they were. My trailer has become a frame machine among other things.
    Today I decided that since I haven't been able to locate any cut off or replacement front frame horns or the bumper mount as it were.
    I used a piece of 1 1/2" by 6" by 28" long flat bar as the pull post 4 screw type load binders and some chains and a torch to try and stretch the horn back out.
    stuff that becomes tools-a1.jpg
    stuff that becomes tools-a2.jpg
    stuff that becomes tools-a3.jpg
    stuff that becomes tools-a6.jpg
    then I set up what I called a fulcrum anvil. A famous man said a long time ago with the right leaver and a fulcrum you can move the world. Blacksmiths have always said the world can be reshaped heat an anvil and a hammer. So I combined all of this to reshape the horn
    stuff that becomes tools-a8.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Aug 22, 2018), jackhoying (Aug 22, 2018), Jon (Aug 21, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Aug 22, 2018), PJs (Aug 22, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 22, 2018), that_other_guy (Dec 9, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Hi Frank,
    Not intended as a criticism, I understand the fun of doing something just because you can, but why did you not simply cut it off and weld on a piece of RHS?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    There is a couple of reasons for not doing that.
    Had I been able to locate a section of frame with good horns I would have simply cut out the bad and welded in the good. an hour's job tops.
    Had I welding in a section or Rectangular hollow section "RHS" I would have had to calculate and drill or add in structural weakening areas to maintain a crumple zone which would be similar to factory I have in the past created crumple zones on tubular frames it is really not a big deal. On RHS frame you drill holes in the 4 corners of the tubing and in the sides this will introduce structural wreaking points to serve as energy absorbing buffers to the rest of the vehicle.
    I might plan on building a custom bumper for it which in the event that I eventually sell the vehicle this becomes more important that the frame retains its factory intended crush capability.
    Heating and straightening the horns back to as near factory look as possible will not create a liability issue for me should the truck be involved in another accident even with a custom bumper If anything the heating forging and reheating may ultimately reduce the structural strength of the horns slightly.
    Selling of vehicles under a certain age in some states which have an accident flag on their repair history requires a full disclosure of parts replaced and repairs performed.
    SO there is the long answer for a short question. If I were to keep it for a couple of years or sell it at auction all of this work would be for naught.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Hi Frank,
    I was unaware of your local (US) legislation, I'm fairly sure that we don't have that same animal here in Aus.
    Or maybe I just don't work on anything so young so as to know about it.
    Rob.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Rob it is not in all states but the way I figure it if I go to the trouble to do this then should we decide to sell it. It could mean 2 things 1 whoever buys it will see that the repairs were not just cobbled together for a quick sale and 2 it just may help to command a better selling price.
    the little truck already has 1 strike against it in my opinion but maybe not to someone else. we bought it with 20" rims and tires the rims alone cost someone a couple grand. When I first saw it I thought they looked goofy but the more I work on it the less goofy they appear, Personally I think it would have looked a lot better with say 17 or 18's on if if someone were going to add custom rims instead of the factory 15"

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information