Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Stump jumper removal press

Thanks

Imabass's Tools

Stump jumper removal press

Sometimes these old things can be so frustrating to get off. 20+ years of rust, neglect, and abuse and they might as well be welded onto the shaft.

I unsuccessfully tried other methods including soaking with various chemicals, prying with piece of pipe, hitting it with a big hammer, wedge blocks, then some plates I made to press it off using bolts, tried heating with weed burner.... Those stump jumpers were just stuck forever.

Time for drastic measures. Time for hydraulic press.

Made a weld on press bracket with 3" channel and rectangular tubing. Welded it onto the stump jumper and added bottle jack. First one came off with ease. Second one was still really stubborn. The welds of the bracket to the stump jumper broker free. Then welded them back on adding welding along the 3" web, then jacked till really tight then heat. Finally.

This was necessary on this bush hog because the access holes to get to the nuts were not aligned up. They were under the main support channel and rusted in place. It took much heat with the torch till the nuts were red hot to then get them off with impact. Then it took the 16# sledge to get the bolts out of the stump jumper to get the blades off.

Stump jumper removal press-20180714_181702.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Why buy it if you can build it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 16, 2018), PJs (Jul 20, 2018), rossbotics (Jul 16, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 17, 2018), thevillageinn (Jul 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A lot of times when having to do repairs to equipment or machines the only way is to do it like you did. Also most times it is safer to do it this way than by other methods.
    Good job thanks for sharing.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Imabass! We've added your Stump Jumper Removal Press to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Imabass's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Unhappy

Check the "flatness of the stump jumper -
    I had an older one and after I got it off, put it in a hydraulic press to remove the built up curve which was causing it to hit the top deck - hit enough stumps and it bends vice jump

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information