Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions needed

Thanks

Suggestions needed

I have a lot of these steel plates .1/4"× 3 1/2" ×8"inches. I have used some for reinforcement/ repair on welding jobs.
    I need suggestions on what I can make or do with these. Thanks, Hank

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    I have a lot of these steel plates .1/4"× 3 1/2" ×8"inches. I have used some for reinforcement/ repair on welding jobs.
    You could always make a real strong mailbox or bird house

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    That is an ideal size to practice on. I probably would use for metal art. That is a handy size for repair.

Thanks
    Hey Hank,
    The dimensions are are of the size that would be useful for gussets on columns,base plates for same.
    I would use the pieces for practice on overhead,vertical,and horizontal welding.
    If you have access to a TIG welder these plates would be good for practice.
    You can also use them for making fixtures for production welding.If you have a real lot of these pieces lay them out and make a welding table,space them 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch apart or even 1 inch apart so you can clamp items to your table top.
    Are you a creative person? If so make art work out of them.Cut them into various sizes and make a skyline of NYC or whatever interests,maybe Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco you can frame it and sell it or hang it up.
    I hope this helps you.
    I really wish I could give you better idea's,I don't know your skill level.
    Richkat

Thanks
    YES ! GREAT FOR PRACTICE WELDING, ALSO, a great size of plate for repairs. I would just keep them around and use your imagination ...hasps, door latches, brackets,holders, jigs, .

Thanks

Using steel plates

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    This is just a quick shot. I do not know if you have a shop to work in or not. One of the things that I have used scrap metal for is to hang tools on. I may weld two or three pieces together length wise. This would create a space of near 24 inches. I like to place a piece of metal end to end between 2 x 4's on the wall. I first welded some brackets out of pipe or 1 x 1 angle iron. Drilling holes in the angle. I hung all sorts of tools this way. The metal is strong enough it won't bend and you can mount it with heavy screws or bolts. I put a piece of angle iron on each end and bolted these to the 2 x 4's with bolts going clear through the studs and nutting and adding washers to both sides. This shelf could be a long as you wanted it to be. Just add more pieces and re bar or any between the shelves to add the space you want. I hang every thing from welding tools to all kinds and types of tools. I just add hooks or other means to hold the different tools.
    I have used scrap metal of like size to mount outdoor cameras on. They are just about the right size to work with. I made and ornamental Mail box for my neighbor out of this size metal in the shape of a truck. The rear gate was on a hinge and would swing down to put mail in or take it out. This was fun and a challenge. These as mentioned for the size make great practice pads. If you do not need them or do not want to build something, High School welding classes would be very great full to you for donating them. Look on the net on Printrest or other sites and you can find all kinds of hobby projects. You may have to weld pieces together to get the job done, but no matter there are grindes and tools to remove the welding marks if that is an issue. Weld enough of them together Vee-ing out your joints so the welds can be ground off and make a great work table top. I hope this may be of some help to you. Good welding and building to you

Tagwatt1

Thanks

carlos80's Tools
    You could make yourself a flame cutting table.
    By making 8" square boxes with the plates on edge at maybe 1" spaces. If you have 4 individual boxes placed in a square formation that will give you a 16x16" table or maybe a 8x32" depending how you set it up, construct a simple tube frame to hold them all together, add some legs and maybe a hopper to direct the sparks into a bucket job done!
    Once the top edges blow out from cutting over time, cause the plates are 3" deep just flip the boxes over,

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Never be in too much of a hurry to use up extra stock you have on hand.
    Categorize it into your inventory and above all remember 2 things 1 that you have it and 2 where you put it
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Hi Hank:

I'm +1 on all these ideas - if you have material in stock, you already own it, you don't have to order, pay shipping, wait for delivery, etc. This is a HUGE productivity boost, you can just grab it & build!

Just keep it organized & accessible, if you can't find it - you don't own it!

Regards,
    James

Thanks
    Hank,

I would save them for future repairs and re-enforcing if things. Trailers, etc. And make a little side money.

Thread Information