Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swarf caps

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Swarf caps

In a previous post...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...1056#post73670

I mentioned that magnetic pickup tools will collect all matter of ferrous swarf in use and can be a real pain to clean. I suggested that the tip of the tool be covered in Saran wrap or similar during use. Cleaning then is nothing more than peeling away the wrap over the trash can.

While that system works and I've used it for many years, it is a tad fiddly. I had time on my hands so I decided to make something a bit tidier and professional.

I made two caps from 1/2" PVC bored out to be a friction fit on each of the pick-up tools. I wanted something thin for the end of the cap so it would provide minimum separation between the magnet and whatever was being retrieved. In addition, the retriever on the left has a built-in LED light so the cap end needs to be transparent.

I used some modelmakers' transparent styrene I had on hand. Used to make windows in architectural models and miniature RR layout buildings, it's only 0.009" thick. Loctite super glue bonded it to the PVC sleeve and the excess was cut away and filed flush.

The result works well and now I don't have bits of food wrap floating around the work bench.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 5, 2019), DIYer (Sep 27, 2016), drivermark (Jun 12, 2022), jjr2001 (Sep 30, 2016), Moby Duck (Sep 28, 2016), natie123 (Jun 18, 2018), old_toolmaker (Jan 30, 2024), Paul Jones (Sep 25, 2016), PJs (Sep 25, 2016), rctoywizard (Sep 27, 2016), rlm98253 (Dec 29, 2017), Sleykin (Dec 26, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice Pro build Marv! The idea of using the thin Styrene is a great idea and got me to thinking of lots of other apps for it. Your ideas always get me thinking! Thanks Much, ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Nice Pro build Marv! The idea of using the thin Styrene is a great idea and got me to thinking of lots of other apps for it. Your ideas always get me thinking! Thanks Much, ~PJ
    Most of the things I submit are more in the form of ideas rather than finished, polished projects. Although I usually show a completed item, the real thrust is for the reader to take the ideas that my project suggests and run with them on his own. After all, that's what homemade ingenuity is all about.

I get lots of requests for plans. Some of them are downright silly. For example, this one...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/t...entifier-34046

has 14 requests for plans. Even if I wanted to construct a plan, of what would it consist?

Drill hole sized to diameter of rivet in key.
    Coat rivet with glue.
    Insert glue-covered rivet in hole.
    Allow glue to dry.

The whole idea is for folks to learn to make things themselves. You're not going to learn any skills without devising your own plans for how to build something.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 5, 2019), Sleykin (Dec 26, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Most of the things I submit are more in the form of ideas rather than finished, polished projects. Although I usually show a completed item, the real thrust is for the reader to take the ideas that my project suggests and run with them on his own. After all, that's what homemade ingenuity is all about.

I get lots of requests for plans. Some of them are downright silly. For example, this one...

The whole idea is for folks to learn to make things themselves. You're not going to learn any skills without devising your own plans for how to build something.
    I get it completely Marv, and have a hard time understanding who might have a need for plans on your tactile key ID post TOO! WoW. For me the ideas people present here are for their use specifically, although sometimes general in nature like most of yours. Most of the time it gives me ideas how do what I want to do "specifically" and adjust it for my needs or incorporate some of it into what I want to bring forward. I like a tool/idea that has multipurpose generally or something I can have an add-on to to use in a different capacity.

I also agree learning and doing is the fun of it to me...and it's icing on the cake when it's simple and elegant in design and function and if it's pretty it lights my candle! Thanks for sharing the wisdom! ~PJ
    Mark Twain

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

old_toolmaker (Jan 30, 2024), Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Swarf Caps to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks

sking0369's Tools
    Marv, just saw your idea. I like it and thinking about the 54 caliber barrel I'm rifling at the moment.

Every couple of passes I have to run a dowel rod pushing a piece of cloth to clean out the swarf. I'm placing a reflective piece of paper at an angle for the light above to reflect into the barrel so I can get an idea of rifling progress. Your idea seems to be spot on for me at the moment. I have one of those telescoping magnets but unfortunately it's too short and also too big around. But great idea.

I agree with the plans thing. I don't do well following plans as I always have my own ideas and invent as I go.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sking0369 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sking0369 View Post
    Marv, just saw your idea. I like it and thinking about the 54 caliber barrel I'm rifling at the moment.

Every couple of passes I have to run a dowel rod pushing a piece of cloth to clean out the swarf. I'm placing a reflective piece of paper at an angle for the light above to reflect into the barrel so I can get an idea of rifling progress. Your idea seems to be spot on for me at the moment. I have one of those telescoping magnets but unfortunately it's too short and also too big around. But great idea.

I agree with the plans thing. I don't do well following plans as I always have my own ideas and invent as I go.
    Here's what I use for inspecting firearm bores...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/b...7451#post37079

As for plans, my idea to glue a toothbrush to a magnet and use it to keep the leadscrew on the lathe swarf-free...

Homemade Lead Screw Cleaner - HomemadeTools.net

has, so far, garnered seven requests for plans.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 5, 2019), PJs (Sep 27, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    As for plans, my idea to glue a toothbrush to a magnet and use it to keep the leadscrew on the lathe swarf-free...

Homemade Lead Screw Cleaner - HomemadeTools.net

O' come on Marv, Please~~> ~PJ Sorrry...
    Mark Twain

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 27, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Unhappy

Redacted: glue toothbrush to magnet to keep leadscrew on the lathe swarf-free...

Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    O' come on Marv, Please~~> ~PJ Sorrry...
    ....maybe the magnificent 7 need GPS too, to locate distributors of such items.....maybe half the 14 after pvc pipe and saran wrap are still looking.........

What household hasn't all those in kitchen and adjacent junk drawer?

Ahh ha; the nefarious WAP link removed, now what to do?.
    I taped a toothbrush to the leadscrew. It just spun around, how does it work?
    It's the pic of Einstein that intimidates us.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 12, 2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: jibe, pure and almost as simple
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 27, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Guys I'll lay odds that some if not many of these plans seekers are actually search bots. The way the infernalnet is so intertwined with 1000's of search engines and key word loggers it is a wonder we each don't get requests for more things than we do.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 28, 2016), PJs (Sep 28, 2016)

Thread Information