Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: T-handle for Allen wrenches

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    As apprentices we made a set of brass leverage extenders from hex bar, great for breaking 'ball' ended Allen keys. My son recently bought a set of finest chinesium steel hex keys in a book style case, thus far it's cost him several skinned knuckles and a number of rounded out hex heads, he's finally starting to understand why I buy Bondhus keys, Britool Expert E121201 keys and Britool Expert E030707 socket drive keys as they are properly sized/ground and hardened. I like the idea and I can see some of the 4" long scrap brass nptm to nptm links I've recovered from scrap ConCoa autochangeover units being re-purposed.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    I wasn't going to post to this thread because after all, we are "homemade" tools. But, per a few posts and Marv's request, here are pics. These were purchased in the mid-80's. I searched for the company but no joy. Either end of the wrench fits into the handle and the spring-loaded, brass, toggle then snaps closed. Two sizes fit almost all my needs.
    Attachment 24636Attachment 24637Attachment 24638
    Great pics. Another project for the project collection. I've been looking for tools like this for a long time. Thanks.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    for me the original design of Marv's tool needs the slot to break out at the end of the handle so the long arm can also fit in the handle, and the short arm used as intended. The handle would then give a shorter handle 180 degrees offset for tight work, and for some size keys add a measure of comfort when turning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    for me the original design of Marv's tool needs the slot to break out at the end of the handle so the long arm can also fit in the handle, and the short arm used as intended. The handle would then give a shorter handle 180 degrees offset for tight work, and for some size keys add a measure of comfort when turning.
    Look carefully at the first picture in my original post. The slot extends to the end of the handle as you wish. The plastic retainer conceals that fact in the other pictures but it's still there.

That said, I've never had occasion to use the handle in the way you describe. If the job requires that much torque I have several ratchet wrenches that can directly accept a 1/4" hex Allen tip. Much more comfortable than trying to put huge torque on the short end and the ratcheting ensures one can obtain a good wrenching position.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Such a simple idea but so useful. Genius!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eimerbuilt For This Useful Post:

mklotz (Feb 11, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by eimerbuilt View Post
    Such a simple idea but so useful. Genius!
    Thanks for the kind words; I'm pleased that you liked it.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Never saw this nor the other styles. Next time I need that tool I may make one. But for my whole career I have always just used a deep socket and and extension or just a piece of pipe. In my early days I dont think there were t handled ones. In my dirt bike years I had to make my own long shank t handles for all the screws and such on the bikes. No cordless nothing back then. So, now I have another project to add to the list. Great idea.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

uv8452's Tools
    a propos style: See the genealogy of my T-handles
    T-handle for Allen wrenches-05914ffd-ba00-495d-8e0a-2942d5325a50_1_201_a.jpeg
    #1 was a makeshift for an imperial size (dowel with groove and shrink tubing - too weak)
    #2 & 3 is what I use daily for small key sizes down to 0.9 mm (keys are clamped; each key with its own handle - changing handles is a nuisance)
    #4 epoxy glued handle for an imperial key
    #5 wooden handle glued (quite robust, pleasant feeling, looking not so nice)
    #6 (un-numbered) luxury version:
    ('springy' clamping screw, pleasing to use, almost never used)
    T-handle for Allen wrenches-ecbd9f6e-3aaa-447a-9f9c-5c9acc9e559f_1_201_a.jpeg

T-handle for Allen wrenches-3f449915-299b-4770-a0d2-a4ed65b19feb_1_201_a.jpeg

T-handle for Allen wrenches-481e8d51-b2ff-44c7-8978-8b218fbd8b69_1_201_a.jpeg

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uv8452 For This Useful Post:

desbromilow (Feb 12, 2024), DIYer (Feb 15, 2024), Jon (Feb 12, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Here's an example of a commercial unit, I *think* from a wal-mart house brand set.

Notable features. There are muliple size slots for different wrenches clocked around at 120 degree intervals. Some of these are inconveniently placed i.e. the 6mm one is at the end instead of the center. A better design might be to have the smaller ones in the bottom of the larger ones and let the wrench decide how deep to sit in the holder.

If I get the time to try to make a 3-d printable version, I'll try to make it square so it's less inclined to roll away, probably try that deep/shallow trick, and add compliant mechanisms (bendy bits) so small wrenches don't flop in the big and hold the slider in the open and closed positions. It's a great idea. 10/10.

T-handle for Allen wrenches-pxl_20240213_151118639.jpg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

tooly (Feb 14, 2024), uv8452 (Feb 13, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks uv8452! We've added your Allen Key Handle to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: uv8452's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information