Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tactile key identifier

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    Marv
    Love the bearing set in the key. I have done thing like Tony cutting edges and slots on side but never a ball bearing.
    I like it, way to go.
    Nelson
    It's not a ball bearing; it's a domed-head rivet. The rivet shaft gives the Loctite something to grab in the hole in the key.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Marv
    Well I love that even more.
    Nelson

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It is sure good to live far enough out and in an area where the biggest crime of they year will be someone's farm implement accidentally knocked over a mail box
    most folks around my area just use screen door latches to lock up their houses and tell everyone that if you come over to visit and they are not home just go on in make yourselves at home they should be home sometime soon. If an individual from out of the area did happen to commit a crime the Local Sheriff may never hear about it since a lot of folks like me have their own backhoe, Varmint season is always open
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Key Identification

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    My front and back door keys are mechanically identical (except for the pin lifters) so they were impossible to tell apart by feel. My solution was to drill a small hole in the body of one key and Loctite in a miniature rivet. Now I can locate the correct key without looking at them.

The rivet is placed such that, if under the thumb on my dominant hand, the key is properly oriented to enter the lock.

Obviously, the concept can be extended to multiple identical keys by using multiple rivets or rivets arranged in tactile-detectable patterns.
    On any property, I drill 3 mm holes. House locks (keyed alike), no holes. Workshop, 1 hole; boathouse, two holes.
    Inside house, for laundry/machine/utility room cupboards same arrangement. Cleaning help gets some of those.
    On the beach/dock, keys for boats, outboards, canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, are on special lanyards, keys are numbered, and a list is kept.
    Fairly unwieldy.

Thanks

Murph1090's Tools
    The problem with that is that, should you lose a key, you need to rekey a lot of locks instead of just one. I rekey my front door every time my wife changes housekeepers which makes it less expensive than having it done professionally. Nevertheless, it's a PIA.

No big deal, really. key all your locks alike and have the one set to your key and a second key (master and change key), and swap out cylinders when you let the help go. Takes all of five minutes, drop off the old cylinder and have the locksmith set it to a new change key. Costs all of $5-8, not much work all in all.
    I've only been a locksmith for 35 years, so what do I know?

Murph

Thanks
    The problem with that is that, should you lose a key, you need to rekey a lot of locks instead of just one. I rekey my front door every time my wife changes housekeepers which makes it less expensive than having it done professionally. Nevertheless, it's a PIA.
    I rekey my locks everytime I change wives.

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    About 20 years ago I got one of the first Wave tools from Leatherman (their factory was about 3 minutes from our factory).

I loved the two blades - one a drop-point and one a serrated edge blade. But, it was impossible to tell them apart without looking closely before opening them.

So, I ground some little serrations on the back of the serrated blade so my thumb could feel them to tell that blade from the drop-point. I've attached an image of my mod - I still use that Leatherman daily.

A few weeks after I had gotten that Leatherman Wave I got to take a tour of the Leatherman plant and I showed an engineer there my cool idea.

Well, now they ALL come that way! (Aren't I special?)
    :-)

And, yes, this actually is a true story. Tactile key identifier-2018-12-06-15.37.54.jpg
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 12, 2020), jimfols (Dec 6, 2018), Jon (Dec 7, 2018), PJs (Dec 8, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 7, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Thanks Marv! Just today, I was cursing the several sets of identical keys to dunny, water, storage boot and folding table on the caravan. Murphy always is right behind me, snickering as I try the wrong key, yet again!
    Jim

Thanks
    In other words, a Braille key.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    My front and back door keys are mechanically identical (except for the pin lifters) so they were impossible to tell apart by feel. My solution was to drill a small hole in the body of one key and Loctite in a miniature rivet. Now I can locate the correct key without looking at them.

The rivet is placed such that, if under the thumb on my dominant hand, the key is properly oriented to enter the lock....

Obviously, the concept can be extended to multiple identical keys by using multiple rivets or rivets arranged in tactile-detectable patterns.
    My locks use the same key these days, (Kwicset Smart-keys) so I I decide too many people have copies of my key, I can change it without changing the locks. Downside, of course, is that they are more complicated, and sometimes they break. Had to replace the deadbolt recently on the front door. It was only a few years old. Their commercial lock sets have locks that use the key in the same position on both the lockset and deadbolt, but the set I have the key is inverted for the deadbolt lock. Maybe one of these days I spring for the fancier commercial locks.

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Apr 7, 2022 at 11:11 AM.

Thread Information