Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tailstock pressure pad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools

Tailstock pressure pad.

I am sure this is not a new idea but I cant find one on the forum.
    A simple turning job done at one setting (a decent part off will suffice) for this purpose, obviously for live centres only.
    A big help when setting up in the 4 jaw to have something that stays in place while adjustments are made. Its main purpose however is to provide extra security when taking heavy cuts on a part on which you have less than an ideal secure grip.
    Like this perhaps.
    Tailstock pressure pad.-imgp0032.jpg
    Or maybe you do not want to centre drill for some reason or perhaps a second op in soft jaws.
    When toolmaking I made one for support for turning heavy die housings up to 18 inches dia, I witnessed one of these get away and a 1cwt of metal bowling along the shop is a sobering sight. You know you have got something right when the other turners copy it and its use becomes the norm.
    Tailstock pressure pad.-screen-shot-10-25-17-07.13-pm.png

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

Carnel (Jun 19, 2020), HUMARIA (Jun 18, 2020), JD62 (Oct 26, 2017), JRock (Aug 3, 2018), jrouche (Oct 27, 2017), katy (Oct 15, 2023), LMMasterMariner (Oct 26, 2017), Moby Duck (Mar 31, 2018), Paul Jones (Oct 26, 2017), PJs (Apr 4, 2018), rayh__ (May 13, 2022), Seedtick (Oct 26, 2017), tonyfoale (Oct 27, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Oct 26, 2017), trevor_60_r (Dec 24, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Modelmakers often use this technique as the only means of securing small delicate parts for turning. Typically, the part is pressed against a faceplate with a suitable friction-generating material between part and plate. It works especially well for very thin parts that can't be clamped in a chuck without distortion. If they need turning work done on the circumference, this technique, perhaps augmented by a sacrificial piece of wood between part and plate, does the job nicely.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 26, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    When pressure alone won't suffice, there are hardened 'grippers' that drive parts. Grinding and finish turning also use 'face-drivers', exactly like woodturners do, just indenting the surface at each end. Otherwise, the process is identical to olderdan's pressure plate.
    Workholding & Positioning - Fairlane Products
    Which reminds me of face turning flat gaskets and seals. You can rubber cement material to plywood, or clamp as olderdan describes. Plate does need to be close to intended edge, cutter is simple as a pointed X-acto or scalpel held like a boring bar. If doing several, cut one side of all, then use that as a register for the other cut.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 26, 2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: link
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I haven't made a separate piece like yours to add to a rotating centre for this purpose but I have a bull nose rotating centre with a flat end, which does the same job.
    I might just copy your piece to use with a smaller centre for when the bull nose centre gets in the way. At the moment when I want to use the small centre I have a hardened round button which is centre drilled on one side which I interpose twix work and centre.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I haven't made a separate piece like yours to add to a rotating centre for this purpose but I have a bull nose rotating centre with a flat end, which does the same job.
    I might just copy your piece to use with a smaller centre for when the bull nose centre gets in the way. At the moment when I want to use the small centre I have a hardened round button which is centre drilled on one side which I interpose twix work and centre.
    Yeah. That is what I have done before. I do like this pad though. I will be making one. JR

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks olderdan! We've added your Tailstock Pressure Pad to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: olderdan's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

xynudu's Tools
    A pressure pad as in the video is good if the work job has symetrical/parallel faces, but it's better to use a dead or live centre to press against irregular stuff. A centre actually works just as well on all jobs.

If you don't have a pressure pad you can often also just use the face of a collet if the piece is the same diameter.
    Last edited by xynudu; Apr 14, 2018 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Regarding gaskets, for a product we were making in California (and maybe here in the future) we needed a food grade gasket of a specific size. With supplies getting tight even then, it was hard to find anyone offering customs made from food-grade soft plastic. Tried Chinese ones but their sizes were similar to what we needed, not exact and the plastic was too hard.

So... I turned a punch out of a piece of drill rod. Two parts, the center to cut the hole slipped through the center of the larger outer one. Use an arbor press to cut against a scrap piece of plastic and it worked great.

The gasket material is a dense closed cell foam used to wrap apples, pears, etc.

Tailstock pressure pad.-img_20200118_163838.jpg

Tailstock pressure pad.-img_20200118_163821.jpg

Tailstock pressure pad.-img_20200118_165040.jpg

Tailstock pressure pad.-img_20200118_165104.jpg

Tailstock pressure pad.-img_20200118_165235.jpg

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Nice, I recently had to make a pair of slightly different sized cutters for punching holes in zinc oxide surgical tape, to fit around slightly different sized rivets on my sons RN issued parade bayonet scabbard, they use it to protect the white material from the brass polish they have to use on the rivets, luckily 8mm stainless tubing was just the right size to make them from, turned a pair of nylon handles to suit, and a 1/2" tube 'U' to store them in, will post photo's when I get a chance.

Tailstock pressure pad.-dsc_9032-001.jpgTailstock pressure pad.-dsc_9033-001.jpg
    Last edited by NeiljohnUK; May 17, 2022 at 05:03 PM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks NeiljohnUK! We've added your Hole Punch to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: NeiljohnUK's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thread Information