Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Taming the Beast: Wheels on a Sun Shade

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Taming the Beast: Wheels on a Sun Shade

Trying to deploy a folding sun shade by yourself is a frustrating activity. Here is a simple way to make the job easy.

If you are interested, please see http://rick.sparber.org/WSS.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

JimboTN (Oct 6, 2017), mklotz (Aug 7, 2017), Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I always enjoy your posts, Rick. Instead of an out-of-focus photo absent of explanation, we get a description of the problem, the logical thinking to solve same, and then the actual tool or procedure that evolved from the solution.

I'm guessing you work, or perhaps retired from, a job where you have/had to make presentations of your suggested course of action to other engineers.

You do it very well. Keep the good ideas and clear descriptions coming.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Marv,

Thanks for the generous words. I do enjoy documenting what I find out (a distant relative to Dr. Feynman: The Pleasure of Finding Things Out). I also teach engineering once a week at a local Community College which helps me stay clear in my thinking and presentation. Nothing worse than a class room of blank faces!

Rick
    Rick

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Rick the first one of those sun shades I had the displeasure of deploying sans any available assistance was pure and simply a nightmare. being accustomed to full frame or pole tents such as the old military command or maintenance tents I knew there were 2 methods to erecting them the maintenance style were fully erected prior to tarp age
    the command units started out with the canvas deployed around a single or possibly as many as 4 center poles depending on size each being stood one by one then the ropes and stakes would be set until finally the side poles
    these sun shades were a new duck to me with their concertina lattice frames. the first time I set one up was without the fabric. The frame went up zippy snap, now the fabric. trying to stretch a brand new first time unfolded nylon fabric over a fully erect framework is not only arduous it is neigh on the border of impossibility. I quickly found it best to pull the center down and allow the legs to partially retract towards each other then secure the fabric at each corner Legs retracted in height of course. then pop up the center secure all of the remaining ties then extend the legs. later I fund that I could use something for a center pole. With fabric secured and folded in the framework. Place the center on top of an umbrella pole then start pulling outward and spreading 2 of the legs until eventually you can only hold on to one of them at this point the sunshade will almost finish erecting itself. Once the center pops up you merely have to extend the legs one by one to desired height.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Rick,
    Nice improvement. The attached wheels should allow faster one-person setup and positioning.

Where I live, we seem to get a lot of Santa Anna winds just after setting up the sun shades - kind like the wind knows when to cause the most problems. I added 16"x 16"x 5/8" plywood "feet" offset from the bottom sides of the legs and used covered paint buckets filled with gravel for weights. Otherwise our sun shades become airborne and have found this out the hard way. Once one of the legs get bent it is almost impossible to get these perfectly straightened again.

Thanks you for improvement,

Paul

Thanks

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Sun Shade Modification to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Rick the first one of those sun shades I had the displeasure of deploying sans any available assistance was pure and simply a nightmare. being accustomed to full frame or pole tents such as the old military command or maintenance tents I knew there were 2 methods to erecting them the maintenance style were fully erected prior to tarp age the command units started out with the canvas deployed around a single or possibly as many as 4 center poles depending on size each being stood one by one then the ropes and stakes would be set until finally the side poles
    Frank, I suspect no one will ever need this, "but" I'd like to add my experience of setting up literally dozens of the old US military General Purpose (GP), Medium and Large (circus) tents. A modification to the directions sewn on the inside of both the cover and the tent.
    Get the wood mallet if you have one, you won't split as many pegs.
    Lay the tent out with the side curtains and the ends folded/thrown over the tent top that's flat on the ground
    Lay out all the side/curtain poles.
    Use the side/curtain poles as a measuring stick and place pegs that length out between each, two ropes to each, save the extra pins. It may seem silly and BS, "but" you will reduce your accident rate by enforcing as much as possible (can't control for rocks) the pins being in a straight line. End pins go straight put in the direction of the seams. The end poles for the doors are longer than the side poles. Angle the ropes out ~ 45 degrees away from the doors.
    Drive in the pegs leaning toward the tent, counter intuitive but the suction on the peg is generally stronger than the leverage on the pin by the rope.
    Connect the ropes and stand up the side & end poles as you go, tight enough to hold up the poles.
    Put in and stand up the main poles.
    Adjust the side poles or if you are putting up a bunch as an advance party, leave the details to the future occupants.
    Done.
    Two "motivated" Soldiers can have one up in :15 minutes.
    The liners, if you still have one, are worth the trouble and make a huge difference regardless of the season. Easiest thing is to put up one main pole, and the liner on one side and then the second main pole, drop the first main pole and rig the second side of the tent then out the main pole back up.
    The ridge pole is optional "but" best used with the liner.

Many memories, so good, some not so . . .

Ron
    Last edited by Shiseiji; Sep 10, 2017 at 07:27 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shiseiji For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Sep 10, 2017)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Ron,

I'm sure you had many opportunities to refine your excellent technique. It is certainly counter intuitive that the stakes should point towards the tent. But that is what makes your procedure so cool. This would also make the stake end safer since they don't stick out.

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Great umbrella shade solution. I have a similar shade and really need to use it but like you I've lacked at least 3 assistants.
    Thanks to your elegant solution...3 people will lose out on the pleasure of my company...and I won't have to feed them!
    BRILLIANT!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information