Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Taming A Rocking Table

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Taming A Rocking Table

I am often seated at a table in a restaurant that does not sit flat on the floor. It rocks back and forth as I try to eat. This is doubly distracting. Not only am I experiencing that damn rocking, I'm also thinking about a fix.

The solution must be very low cost and easily replaceable because I know, at the end of the meal, I'll just get up and leave. Then it will be back to my shop to make a new gap-filling device. It must also be small and light weight enough to carry at all times.

Well, I think I have it.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/RockingTableFix.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 23, 2019), baja (Feb 24, 2019), brianr47 (Apr 9, 2021), EnginePaul (Apr 8, 2021), JoeVanGeaux (Feb 23, 2019), Jon (Jan 3, 2020), Philip Davies (Jan 1, 2024), ranald (Feb 22, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 25, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 22, 2019), will52100 (Feb 22, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    That beats my couple of playing cards (usually forget to take with me) and some thick cardboard I leave in glove compartment.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    I've found that a book of matches is usually sufficient — and available — to solve this problem. If I don't have one in my pocket (which is rare, albeit I am a non-smoker) I can usually walk up to the counter — and get one. The natural wedge shape can be easily modified — thicker or thin, as the case may require. But I agree — there's little more irritating that either sitting at a rocking table, or on a rocking chair.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    I've found that a book of matches is usually sufficient — and available — to solve this problem. If I don't have one in my pocket (which is rare, albeit I am a non-smoker) I can usually walk up to the counter — and get one. The natural wedge shape can be easily modified — thicker or thin, as the case may require. But I agree — there's little more irritating that either sitting at a rocking table, or on a rocking chair.
    I love a rocking chair or better still. a squaters chair.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Mar 2, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    I had no idea resturants still carried free books of matches. A check of the web came up with a story that said sales of these matches has fallen by 75% but is making a comeback. Certainly worth asking.

Here is a site dedicated to the product: http://matchbooktraveler.com/
    Last edited by rgsparber; Feb 25, 2019 at 05:32 AM.
    Rick

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Mar 2, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Table Leveler to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Last edited by Jon; Oct 26, 2021 at 10:19 PM.

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    I always use packs of artificial sweetener.

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    You could also use this method to sell your illicit drugs - just tell the busting officer that the table was rocking!

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    I am often seated at a table in a restaurant that does not sit flat on the floor. It rocks back and forth as I try to eat. This is doubly distracting. Not only am I experiencing that damn rocking, I'm also thinking about a fix.

The solution must be very low cost and easily replaceable because I know, at the end of the meal, I'll just get up and leave. Then it will be back to my shop to make a new gap-filling device. It must also be small and light weight enough to carry at all times.

Well, I think I have it.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/RockingTableFix.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick
    My mom started waitressing when I was 4 years old. At the time, she had never eaten in a restaurant. It was a little place called Danny's. They were expanding from serving donuts to a full meal service. Changed the name to Denny's not long after. I've grown up in restaurants. There is a very simple solution. You fold one or two of the paper napkins and put it under the high leg. Paper napkins are usually readily available in the restaurants, on your table. Or you can ask the waitstaff. Though it wouldn't be difficult to keep a couple in your pocket. They have many uses besides a rocking table wedge.

For folks that eat in higher class restaurants that use cloth napkins, you can always ask them to fix it. It's probably not good for cloth napkins to be used in that way.

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information