Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: tank silencer

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,827 Times in 11,332 Posts

tank silencer

I like it when something interesting comes out on the net, and then it's debunked as a hoax, and then the debunking is itself debunked.

So it is with these images of a "tank silencer". Ultimately the verdict was "true"; this device was thought to be used for testing loud artillery in close proximity to civilian populations. Of course, this being the internet, the debate raged on as to whether the vehicle is really a tank or a self-propelled artillery vehicle, whether the silencer is actually a muffler or suppressor, and which exact part of the human anatomy most resembles the device in question.

Similar IfL muffler for the Leopard 2 tank:

More IfL muffler details: http://www.cervus.de/publikationen/BuHiBaltimore01.pdf

More? Here's a US patent for a large-caliber gun silencer arrangement, from Rheinmetall, the original manufacturer of the devices above.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jul 7, 2020), jjr2001 (Sep 18, 2016), PJs (Sep 14, 2016), Scotsman Hosie (May 9, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Wow Jon, interesting find. Now that's a tool to talk about. Got to go through a coffee table book a while back with all the patent drawings for about 70 years on suppressors and silencers. My limited understanding is a suppressor is for reducing the flash and reducing barrel nod, where as a silencer is actually an acoustic device to reduce the super/sub sonic noise from the pressures by some db and direction of travel.

This by far is the Biggest article, however described. However the neighbors at .5km would probably still have a problem with it...especially out here. 30db is pretty substantial considering the energy expended to launch a project 15-30 miles or so. Maybe smart weapons are a better choice and only a slightly more expensive than this rig but they'd never hear them coming.

Perhaps Brian could build one for the hogs in the next county when he gets through his neck rehab, but Zeke would be in the county in the other direction I would bet. Hope he see's this...love to hear his take on it.

Thanks! ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 14, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Too bad, I'm leading off. Far as physical representation, comments will tack to-an-fro.
    1] Not very long but incredible girth, and somebody's gonna loose their socks.
    2] WATCH where you point that thing, you'll put your eye out.
    3] paraphrased from Young Frankenstein "...goes without saying." or "Sweet mystery of life, now that I've found you"

Personally, I'll wait,they'll scrap it out DRMO. By then the body will be a nice 'container' home. And frame will support my immense collection of HMT.net awards.
    Hey, this is a family site, after all.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,827 Times in 11,332 Posts
    K10 automated ammunition resupply vehicle. South Korean military.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Sep 15, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 15, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quite the story of the origin of this beast. 104 rounds at 12 rounds a minute, resupply on the battlefield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K9_Thunder

https://www.armyrecognition.com/sout...ical_data.html
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Seems like supplying a tank with what appears to be unfused ammo is a bit of a wasted exercise.
    Looks like the supply vehicle is built on a tank chassis/body. It still needs engines,crew etc etc and is relatively defenceless. I am wondering how many rounds it can supply before it is empty, I suspect not very many because there is not a lot of spare room inside a tank. Seems like the design concept is wrong and the money would be better spent on supplying more tanks, then rotate empty tanks on the line with full ones.
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Sep 15, 2018 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Moby Duck once a tank sets up on a defensive position resupplying it from the rear is the safest way to do this. As far as un-fused as you called it this is the projectiles only, the tank would also require bagged charges and primers much like the loading of the big 16 inch guns of the old battle ships and many artillery used since WWII
    Using bagged charges serves several purposes the range of the projectile can be controlled as well as a huge reduction of weight and space a cartridge type munition would require, plus there are no shell casings left on the battle field which could be retrieved later by the enemy and used to make IED's out of
    Tanks are way more costly to produce as each requires a turret the gun itself as well as the massive amount gear and electronics for aiming and fire control.
    the tank like resupply vehicles are in a seance armored tracked cargo vehicles a hundred or so rounds of ammo would be about what a regular 6x6 wheeled cargo truck would be carrying especially if it had any supportive armor on it additionally a wheeled vehicle cannot go to many of the places a tracked vehicle can.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Sep 16, 2018), Papa Bill (Sep 17, 2018), PJs (Sep 16, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 16, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    a bit of a wasted exercise. .
    I dunno, Moby. If the Koreans have land-based UNREP, I think we're screwed. It's like bear cavalry or sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information