Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: telescopic adjustable stands

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

telescopic adjustable stands

The other day when I was making a bumper for my old Ford I used a pair of regular automotive jack stands.
    Even though those things are irreplaceable and handy they have limitations when using them as work stands where you need to position something at a particular height.
    I decided that I would make a smaller version of my pipe stands.
    Problem #1 they needed to be 14" or less in height when collapsed #2 they had to be able to be used on bare soil without sinking #3 they needed to be able to be extended to a height of at least 32 inches
    I started out with 12x12" 10 ga plates for the bases 10 1/2" long 2 7/8" oil field pipe for the main post. 2" sch 40 pipe 11" long for the intermediate pipe, 1 1/2" sch 40 12" long for the third pipe and 12" of scaffold jack screw for each stand 3/4" round rod for the support braces.
    Also to tighten up the looseness between the various stages I used 1 1/4 " EMT and 1.94 16 ga purlin tubing
    Rather that continuously switching the band saw vice to different angles I simply clamped some scrap at the desired angles to cut the braces
    telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7190c.jpg
    Those little fit up magnets are indispensable the angle iron pieces transfered just enough magnetic flux to hold the support braces as well so the entire weldement could be fit up and tacked at once
    telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7191c.jpg
    I split the EMT and the other thin walled tubing then spread them to suit the size needed
    telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7192c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7193c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7194c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7195c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7197c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7198c.jpg

telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7199c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7200c.jpg
    One of these days I need to make me a set of clamping top jaws for my chuck that way I will be able to bore multiple pieces such as this without either tacking them together or using little c clamps
    telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7202c.jpg

telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7204c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7206c.jpg telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7207c.jpg
    34 Inches would be about the maximum height I could go to 38 but they would be very unstable
    telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7209c.jpg
    Leather brown is not my color of choice but I have 2 cases of the stuff and need something that really doesn't matter what color to use some of it up on
    telescopic adjustable stands-dscf7211c.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

2wheelcharlie (Oct 30, 2023), baja (Aug 22, 2019), clydeman (Aug 26, 2020), high-side (Aug 22, 2019), Jon (May 22, 2016), Paul Jones (May 22, 2016), PJs (May 22, 2016), rendoman (May 24, 2016), scoopydo (May 24, 2016), Scotty12 (Aug 21, 2019), tenncf (Sep 5, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Dec 10, 2017)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice build Frank. These Would be handy for all sorts of things and very substantial! Thanks for sharing the build! ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Pj Remember I built these for when I am fabricating or just need a fine adjustment to hold or level a project.
    I have no doubt that they will hold as much as 5 tons each fully retracted using the screw adjustment up to around 2/3s its max adjustment,but I wouldn't want to trust my life or anyone else's lives under something with the telescope tubes extended relying solely on the friction locks. If I were to drill some holes in the pipes and use a pin lock then as long as the stands were not more than 2x the distance of the diagonal of the base in height.
    they are quite heavy for their size weighing in at around 48 lbs
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Frank, I get it. I'm the last person to use screw jacks or jack stands inappropriately. I lost a dear friend about a decade ago to a jack stand incident. They were placed right but he was using a big bar to break something loose and rocked it off the stands...and he was working by himself. I was also safety officer for a company for several years during the OSHA/Cal-Osha crazed heyday. It was a slippery slope back then, but was lucky enough to work with a great local coordinator. Not a safety Nazi as they call them on YT but it's always about common sense and remembering to respect the laws of physics, my body and allowing for..."Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool".

I also liked the way you defined the design parameters and matched it with the materials at hand for this project. As for safety ratings, I generally cut everything in half, but don't tell anyone. ~¿@ Thanks again for sharing the build. ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Adjustable Telescoping Stands to our Dollies and Stands category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:11 PM.

Thread Information