Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: terrye

Thanks

terrye

As a new member, I plan on showing some of the things and tools I build. Most of what I build is done on a drafting program first, then I take the drawings to the shop and build what I drew. I don't take as many pictures of what I make but I'll try to do a better job in the future. Some of the projects I plan to show in the near future: Converting my AC driven wood lathe to a DC powered unit; How I was able to use a DPDT toggle switch to change DC motor direction; how I tightened the V-Belt on the wood lathe and so on. If I can, I like to make my own tools, but some, I must admit are better built by a manufacturer. An upcoming project, for example, Is a 4" belt sander. I had one but mistakenly give it to my son. It was a manufactured unit, but I think I'd like to make one myself.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to terrye For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Jan 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Sounds as though you've got a good system in place. I like the idea of working from proper drawings - being able to produce those drawings in the first place is just that much more efficient - and impressive!

Some neat projects there, but we need at least one good photo each to add them to the site. Take those pics; we'd like to see what you've built!

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Yes, sounds like a nice disciplined system. People here are often asking for plans or drawings of tools. Sometimes a high-quality drawing can be more useful than photographs of the finished product.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Sometimes a high-quality drawing can be more useful than photographs of the finished product.
    I couldn't agree more. I built my airplane from a set of full-size engineering drawings accompanied by an excellent, highly detailed manual. My current kit car project, despite being comprised entirely of high-end, fully bespoke components (no "donor" parts) came with a bare bones (and barely adequate) manual and a photo CD with images taken over the last 10-15 years and showing, in places, outdated components no longer in the kit. Needless to say, it's very confusing at times.

One guess which I prefer…

Ken

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Hi terry, welcome to the forums. Your workflow sounds like you have an engineering background.

Thanks
    I have no idea what you're talking about in this blog. I didn't send a question nor did I inquire about a sander. Don't send me any more replies!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information