Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Is there vise mount to a round steel post using pipe chain

Thanks

Is there vise mount to a round steel post using pipe chain

I have seen where a vise was mounted to a steel post using pipe chain. I would like to make this so it is portable. I work in a new built body shop, at the garage doors there is 8" pipe to protect anyone from hitting the the walls. It would be a good place to mount.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi DIGGERJR - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Interesting! I'm going to move this one into our Tools in Progress subforum so you can get more ideas.

Here's a similar build. Not on 8" pipe, and doesn't use chain, but might be good for ideas.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I just joined the site,,, I have been browsing the site. I have found many ideas, with a bit of modifacations that have my mind gears rely turning. And thank you it is a start. I will post when i get my project completed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIGGERJR View Post
    I have seen where a vise was mounted to a steel post using pipe chain. I would like to make this so it is portable. I work in a new built body shop, at the garage doors there is 8" pipe to protect anyone from hitting the the walls. It would be a good place to mount.
    Yes, you could easily fabricate your own as that sold by the famous maker of red plumbing tools. Not Chicago Specialty...
    A single chain would be decent, but dual far superior in terms of ridgid-ness.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 1, 2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: hint
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    There is a device called a "Chain Pipe Vice" - do a google search. You would need a big one, and you would have to adapt your vice to fit it. They are not cheap.

Personally I would mount it to a trailer hitch bar arrangement, as pictured below, and I would mount the hitch socket permanently on the top or side of the post so that it is well out of the way when the vice is removed. Working in a body shop you probably have old trailer hitches lying around, or can fabricate the bits you need. Vice pictured is called something like "D-Vise" and is made in USA.

It might also be easier to fabricate a vice stand from an old heavy wheel rim and a length of pipe. You will then be able to 'roll' it to anywhere in the shop and not run the same risk of having someone drive into it, as if it were to be fitted right in the doorway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there vise mount to a round steel post using pipe chain-540784222-1-.jpg   Is there vise mount to a round steel post using pipe chain-540784222.jpg  
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Apr 2, 2017 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIGGERJR View Post
    IMO, the easiest and most stable platform would be made by mounting the vice to a suitable piece of angle steel (10" x 10"? on a side 1/4" thick) mount the vice to it and then have 2.... 1/2" or 5/8" U-bolts made by the local spring shop and then attach the angle to the pole with those. IMO, (I believe) the chain vice is going to have to much "give" to be of any use. If you want to try it though mount the angle and vice to the base of the chain vice and attach the chain vice to the pole.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Bobby D.

Thread Information