Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Thien Separator from Hot Water Urn

Thanks

natie123's Tools

Thien Separator from Hot Water Urn

My dust extractor is OK for the larger tools (planer, radial arm saw etc) but my shop vacuum is more mobile and therefore more suited for use with smaller power tools (sanders etc). To reduce filter cleaning and for ease of disposal of sawdust, I built a Thien Separator.
    As we live at the coast, I try to avoid rust-prone materials. A 25 liter plastic bucket proved unsuitable as the suction from the shop vacuum deforms the bucket. I then repurposed a 30 liter stainless steel hot water urn to serve as a separator (Photo 1).
    Standard 40 mm plumbing fittings were used for the connections (Photo 2). The intake uses 2 x 45 degree elbows, rather than a 90 degree elbow, to provide a smoother air flow (Photo 2).
    The slot in the baffle is 20 mm wide and the rest of the design is as per Phil’s design.
    Castor wheels were affixed outboard of the urn base, to provide better stability (the separator gets dragged around the workshop by the pipes) (Photo 3).
    Thank you to Phil Thien for the design, it works a treat. NO sawdust ends up in the shop vacuum and hardly any dust gets to the filter. As the urn is watertight it can also be used for liquids. The tap could be left in place to empty the separator if it is often used for liquids.
    (Credit for the design - Phil Thien at J. Phil Thien's Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle).Thien Separator from Hot Water Urn-photo-1.jpgThien Separator from Hot Water Urn-photo-2.jpgThien Separator from Hot Water Urn-photo3.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by natie123; May 15, 2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Delete Thumbnails

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to natie123 For This Useful Post:

Gregraper33712 (May 10, 2018), Jon (May 9, 2018), PJs (May 10, 2018), raceman61 (May 10, 2018), Seedtick (May 10, 2018), Sleykin (May 10, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Great work. Glad you mentioned Phil Thien. Where does a fella find a water urn (SS) to repurpose ?

JohnMTO

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnMTO For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 10, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks for posting this and credit to Phil Thein! I'm also curious where to find the SS Urn.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

natie123's Tools
    Thanks guys. Urns purchased at scrapyards. You pay by weight for the stainless steel. Price then works out reasonable. I have also purchased urns from a second-hand dealer (for use as vessels in my brewery).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by natie123; May 12, 2018 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Correct grammar

7. The Following User Says Thank You to natie123 For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 13, 2018)

Thread Information