Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools

Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe

Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe-01_threadingslide.jpg

This is my version of K. N. Harris’ “screwcutting device” shown in Model Engineer July 8, 1948. It takes the place of the toolpost on a plain lathe to allow feeding the tool independent of the cross slide in order to cut just with the leading edge while using a threading attachment that drives the topslide.

Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe-02_threadingslide_harrisphoto.jpeg

His was designed for a 90mm center height lathe. Mine is for a Unimat-sized machine with half the swing of his Boley and even less clearance over the topslide so I had to modify some of the original details.

Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe-03_threadingslide_bottom.jpg

The least obvious of these is the key for the barrel which in mine is a staple-shaped piece of 0.056” piano wire flattened in the middle and held in two close fitting holes in the bottom.

The overall length of my version is about 3-5/16” and the body is 1-3/4 x 1-1/2 x 9/16”. The 3/8” barrel has about 1/2” travel and is split at the end to clamp tools instead of using a set screw.

I use 3/16” round tools in an eccentric 1/4” adaptor sleeve that allows some vertical adjustment.

Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe-04_threadingslide_drawing.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 16, 2018), Okapi (Aug 3, 2018), olderdan (Jul 17, 2018), Paul Jones (Aug 26, 2020), PJs (Jul 17, 2018), rossbotics (Jul 16, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 16, 2018), Stevohdee (Jul 27, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 21, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Watchmakers Lathe Threading Slide to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: threesixesinarow's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    What am I missing?.....Surmising this allows retraction at end of cut, is it spring loaded? The depth of cut screw and knob are clear enough.
    As interest towards single point threading is broad, various approaches are utilized to mount the attachment, set tool height, advance tool bit, and clear thread for next pass. Examples of spring-loading have designs of both persuasions; to push slide in or snap it back, with a locking arrangement independent of depth control.
    I have a large lathe. A small, secondary top slide makes sense for pitch and diameter combinations about .312/ 8mm or less. Different submissions on HMT.net all have merit; as I sort which one to build. My inclination would employ a lever operated eccentric.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    I don’t think you missed anything - it’s simple because it only brings back something the screwcutting attachment prevented. It’s a compact design, though, and self-contained with the eccentric holder.

Here is a Unimat toolpost next to it for scale. I think with most of the screwcutting methods for it that has to do straight in feeding, too.

Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe-6d68958c-04fe-485a-bc9e-09ea003f9015.jpgThird slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe-c2216129-861a-4d39-92ae-d2037de5913b.jpg

The tool only retracts with the cross slide, but I doubt more than a turn will ever be necessary on this lathe, and since the top slide has to be returned at the end of the cut anyways, reversing the spindle and using a clapper-like swing up tool would work as well as anything.

Some other things aren’t clear in the drawing: the feed screw pushes against a collar that’s pinned inside the bore in the body, and the second knurled ring is just for adjusting the dial, which is otherwise held in place by friction with a bent leaf spring that fits in a groove on the knurled takeup nut.

Stevohdee’s quick bevel tool is more elegant and adaptable and his design removes the need for a microscopic key.
    Last edited by threesixesinarow; Jul 22, 2018 at 05:30 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 26, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 22, 2018)

Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Third slide for threading on a watchmaker lathe-7766b967-3c19-425b-a7d6-8419516e9ecb.jpg

Pattern slide - cam feed, spring retract

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 23, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 23, 2018)

Thread Information