Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tilting V-block setting aid

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Tilting V-block setting aid

Years ago I bought the tool pictured below...

It consists of a V-block that slides in a dovetailed base so the V can be oriented at various angles. Once set to the required angle a screw hidden in the base locks the V-block in place. It's not a tool one would use every day but for certain jobs it can be a real aid.

The scale on the slide is slightly confusing it reads 45 degrees when the V-block is oriented as shown in the photo. IOW, it's reading the angle of the sides of the V-block wrt horizontal/vertical. However, that's not the biggest problem with the scales. The graduations are too tiny and too close together to be easily read; the vernier is a joke. Setting the thing precisely using the scale is impossible.

So, I machined the block of aluminum shown above the device in the photo. It's nothing more than two angles cut precisely 45 degrees wrt to the base of the block.

Here's how it's used...

The sharp end of the block is fitted into the V of the V-block. Then the gauge and the block are butted against a precision angle block with the whole assembly pressed between two parallel surfaces. In the picture I used two attachments to my combination square. If I can tolerate a bit less accuracy I use the two jaws of the mill vise.

Setting the V-block back to its rest position is simple. Simply remove the precision angle block and use the bare aluminum block...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 9, 2017 at 09:02 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 13, 2017), PJs (Feb 12, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Feb 12, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Marv,

I have a similar angle thingie, but the graduations are engraved on the base rather than the screwed on scale like yours. I must say that within the steps of the vernier (10 minutes) I have no problems reading or setting the angle, although I do use strong glasses for it, but that is a matter of old age not the angle block. I have checked the vernier settings with a sine bar and they are pretty good.

Tilting V-block setting aid-anglethingie.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 13, 2017), Paul Jones (Feb 13, 2017), rossbotics (Feb 13, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I suspect you have the well-made original from which my low-budget knock-off was copied. I'm not particularly annoyed with the impracticality of the scale on mine. I trust my other angle-setting equipment more than I would the angle scale on almost any other tool I have that has such a scale.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 13, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I trust my other angle-setting equipment more than I would the angle scale on almost any other tool I have that has such a scale.
    Very wise. Quality vernier calipers are about the only thing that I trust with scales. Anything else gets checked before critical use.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your V Block Setting Aid to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information