Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TipLap style tool sharpener

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Thanks olderdan -- all packaged up, and it will go out in the mail this week. Congrats again!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    olderdan has a soundly designed T&C setup here........
    My contribution would be a collet block, 5C and probably 24 stop indexing.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Do you think 5C is better than R8?
    I use 5C in my T&C grinder (which I posted here recently) but that was largely because I used a Spin Indexer to rotate the the tool and that comes bored for 5C. However, the 5C has allowed me to do things which I could not have with R8, due to its through hole and larger available holes.
    Both R8 and 5C are limited in that they come in discrete inch or metric sizes, which means that you need a multitude of collets to cover a full range of sizes in small steps. Of course that doesn't matter if you only need to hold the main sizes, but it becomes a problem if, like me, you want to hold drill bits in 1/64" and 0.5mm steps as well as a full range of number and letter sizes. For that I use adjustable collets in an ER25 chuck with 5C stem. You could use a normal drill chuck to cover the size range but without a through hole you are forced into large overhangs.
    I have a large number of drill bits with a MT1 shank, the 5C allows me to feed them in from the back which I couldn't do with R8. For anything with a MT2 shank I have made a 5C holder with a MT2 taper inside, this usually leaves a lot of overhang but with care it gets the job done.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 2, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Tony Foale's accurate comments triggered email new action in this thread; and of great interest to me. 5C is popular for many applications, and rightly so. Compact OD, with comparative large maximum bore, in more sizes than many realize, being OD threaded operable by a hollow drawbar, AND if selected carefully ID threaded for a variety of stock stops. New, they are available in roughly 4 price ranges.
    Tony is correct that a 5C would hold a an ER setup nicely; and useful for tool or workholding as well.
    Now for a little more on collets.
    All that aside, an enterprising designer could build a replacement/ alternate spindle(s) for a spin-dex carrying ER's; utilizing more of a compression than collapse function. The compression feature permit range of closure of beyond the few thousandths of a 5C. 5C, R8, 2J, 215, etc are split in front only, sized and cylindrical at one particular diameter only. ANY other only pinch, which can also 'spring' the collet into deformity, and unreliable thereafter.
    The brand I can't recall; but there was a grinder for larger drills using Jacobs Rubberflex, that also function ala collapse. They're tool steel fingers bonded to neoprene [?] spacers, very good work holding collets. The drawback is they need a handwheel about 10" diameter to operate. Too big for convenient sized T&C abrasives.
    Another 5C advantage. Using the largest with an eccentric bushing will grind beautiful, tapered boring bars; the right way.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 15, 2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: A big finish, Ta Da
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 2, 2021)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    ...... an enterprising designer could build a replacement/ alternate spindle(s) for a spin-dex
    Actually, I made another spindle (should a hollow tube be called a spindle??) with a flat flange on the end to fit a small lathe chuck, either 3 or 4 jaw. It is useful. I'll try to remember to take some pix.

Thanks
    I'm sorry if I'm not the first to ask, but is there any way to get set of plans for this? I've looked around the site and couldn't find them. For the first few projects I'm considering after retirement, this one would definitely be in the top 10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore4748 View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm not the first to ask, but is there any way to get set of plans for this? I've looked around the site and couldn't find them. For the first few projects I'm considering after retirement, this one would definitely be in the top 10
    Hi tmoore4748. The only plans I have are in Sketchup form, these are 3D and to scale so you can dimension the parts and you are welcome to them if they will be of use to you.
    These files are to large for the forum so I would have to send it in zipped form to your email address ( you can PM me if you wish).
    Thanks for your interest.
    Olderdan

9. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

tmoore4748 (Jan 25, 2018)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Hi tmoore4748.
    These files are to large for the forum so I would have to send it in zipped form to your email address
    Alan, you might consider Dropbox. You can get quite a bit of free space and it is convenient to just drop files there and then you only have to pass a coded URL (supplied by Dropbox for each file) on to all whom you wish to see it. It is very easy to use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Thank you Tony, Dropbox sounds a good solution, I will look into it.

Thanks
    many thanks indeed for your useful and practical post

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I use drop box all the time sending 3d cad drawings back and forth my main problem is many of my files can approach half a gig in size which overwhelms the system so we break them up into smaller sub assemblies. My internet connection is probably the biggest limiting factor, having only a maximum speed of 50mps average of 20mps but I have seen it drop to 5 several times. but it still beats the old dial up we had before and hopefully the co-op will complete their fiber installation this spring
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information