Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tombstone Welder Dolly

Thanks

Texf1's Tools

Tombstone Welder Dolly

I wanted to get some practice on welding and wanted something useful at the same time. I just picket up this welder and wanted a dolly to be able to move it around easier. I built this cart out of a bed frame, part of a squat rack and the hooks were from a treadmill. I had plastic wheels on it to start, but they wouldn't hold up to the weight, so I put steel wheels on it. I was more of a grinder than a welder on this project, but at least towards the end my welds were looking a lot better. I would also appreciate some advice/tips for stick welding because I want to start on that. I built this with a mig/flux welder.
    Thanks,
    Keith

Tombstone Welder Dolly-img_1465.jpg
    Tombstone Welder Dolly-img_1467.jpg
    Tombstone Welder Dolly-img_1469.jpg
    Tombstone Welder Dolly-img_1472.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texf1 For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (Jan 3, 2018), rossbotics (Jan 8, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 3, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Texf1! We've added your Welder Dolly to our Dollies and Stands category,
    as well as to your builder page: Texf1's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

bimmer1980's Tools
    Nice work! I've wanted to build a similar cart for my tombstone, haven't had time yet.... It would be nice to have a better method to hang the cables....

I'm assuming you are running a 6013 or 6011 rod? The best thing to do is, breathe, then steady with the hand. The key is to slow down and build the puddle, then make slight back and forth arcs as you slowly work to drag the rod back along the weld. You need to get enough practice that you can feed the rod in while moving in the right direction and be steady....

In high school, we had a 4" square pad that we ran beads on to build up layers. After about an inch thick worth of weld beads, you get the hang of it..... ;-)

Thanks

Texf1's Tools
    Thank you. We don't get better unless we practice. Thanks for letting me in this great group.

Thanks

Texf1's Tools
    Thanks for the tip. I also need to up the amps. I wasn't hot enough when I started and it was always sticking. I need to get new leads. These are cracked all down the wire. I do not want to electrocute myself. I am enjoying just playing around with it for now. I will always accept tips to get better, but it is fun learning at my own pace. I will be running 6011 rods.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information