Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tonight's supper

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Tonight's supper

On another thread in tool talk I made mention about what I was having for supper.
    Most people either love or hate liver & onions
    If you like it as a meal you have probably had it prepared in a number of ways.
    If you don't like it then I guarantee you have never had it prepared the way I did it tonight.
    I started out with a lb. of sliced calf liver bought frozen so had to be thawed overnight in the fridge.
    I sliced it into 1" wide strips then rinsed them in a bowl of cool tap water several times until most of the blood had been rinsed out then I poured whole milk in the bowl enough to cover and returned it to the fridge for 2 hours. I sliced and cut up a fist sized yellow onion and a green bell pepper I sauteed these in a pan of butter added in a very liberal amount of coarse ground black pepper and a small pinch of salt
    then drained the milk poured some flour on a plate and battered the liver in the flour I remover the onions and bell peppers from the skillet and placed them in an electric skillet set to 200°with about 3 cups of water
    I lightly browned the liver in the skillet in what little butter still coated it then poured the liver strips in the electric skillet added a hefty shake of oregano crumbled up some fresh sweet basil leaves thee or four table spoons of flour and covered. stiring this every so often for the next 4 hours.
    when it was time to eat I thought there would be enough for 4 people but the 2 of us only left a little of the gravy and it sure was good.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Jan 5, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    NO matter how more efficient gas stoves may be, having a good electric skillet has always been the deal in our households. I think their ability to simmer a large surface area at a low temp is what keeps them on the market.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Aug 27, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yeppers, that is pretty much the main reason for owning 1 or 2
    Here is a life hack for them if you have 2 the same size take some aluminum paneling clips attach 1 or 2 on each side of 1 skillet invert the other to make an electric dutch oven adjust the temp setting for the 1 on top to 350°or 400° and the 1 on the bottom to 300 to 350° place a pan of meat loaf or a frozen pipe or frozen Stoffers Lasagna or dinner rolls, Biscuits or what ever in them and bake just like anything you could do in a dutch oven over an open fire covered with coals or in a conventional oven.
    I learned a trick like this for making pizza while attending college while in the Army
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 27, 2018 at 08:23 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    NO matter how more efficient gas stoves may be, having a good electric skillet has always been the deal in our households. I think their ability to simmer https://bestgrillcover.com/best-gas-grills-under-500 area at a low temp is what keeps them on the market.
    I agree with you.
    Last edited by DaveWilliams; Oct 24, 2018 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    NO matter how more efficient gas stoves may be, having a https://gadgetspicker.com/best-electric-smoker-2019/ good electric smoker has always been the deal in our households. I think their ability to simmer a large surface area at a low temp is what keeps them on the market.
    Yep. I too have a Presto Electric Foldaway Skillet. They're worth it.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Now that we have the new stove I felt it was way past time to make my Mexican pie for supper.
    Start with 3/4 lb of ground meat. dice a medium size onion, red, green, and yellow bell peppers. add in the onion and 1/4 cup of the peppers 2 tablespoons of my hot sauce 1 TBS of chill powder 1 TBS coarse ground black pepper 1 TBS minced garlic, some herbs and other spices then brown completely in a 10" cast iron skillet.
    Preheat the oven to 350° drain the meat place in a separate container or p[late. with a paper towel just wipe the skillet clean place a 10" flower tortilla in the bottom smear on 1/3 can of re fried beans spread 1/3 of the meat cover with 1/2 can of Rotel I like the one with diced tomatoes & habaneros. add several Jalapeno slices cover with a liberal layer of shredded cheese place another tortilla on top and add another layer of everything, add another tortilla then add the remainder of anything you have left this layer is usually where I add the remainder of the bell peppers as well then cover with cheese again some oregano basil, Thyme, and parsley flakes 1 more tortilla then pre cut into 8 pie slices. If you don't do this it will be difficult to cut after baking. Cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil bake at 325¯ for 1 hour Makes enough for 2 meal for 2 people or 1 meal for 3 people if WD comes over
    Tonight's supper-20190106_181928.jpgxx.jpg

Tonight's supper-20190106_182046.jpgxx.jpg

Tonight's supper-20190106_182203.jpgxx.jpg

Tonight's supper-20190106_182417.jpgxx.jpg

Tonight's supper-20190106_183040.jpgxx.jpg

Tonight's supper-20190106_194917.jpgxx.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information