Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tool chest of drawers from old chest of drawers

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools

Tool chest of drawers from old chest of drawers

I was cleaning my garage and forgot that I had made these tool chests out of old chest of drawers, thought you might be interested. I was experimenting with different kinds of joints, so I decided to make some drawers and make them into a chest. On Craigslist, I found these old chests and converted them. On the dark one, I put in stainless drawer slides and on the lighter one just the drawers into wood slides. The one with drawer slides was fairly easy to make after the drawers were made because the outside of the slides were attached to a rectangular piece of plywood just set into the sides and not attached to anything, free floating. Once the spacing was marked the outside of the slide was attached to the plywood and then the drawers just slid in. Relatively easy. The other one however was more difficult because of the spaces needed to make room for the drawers. Both have large casters for easy moving. Bob.Tool chest of drawers from old chest of drawers-img_2199.jpgTool chest of drawers from old chest of drawers-img_2200.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 19, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    I like all the short drawers they almost look like map makers drawers. I have never placed much interest in furniture but this makes me reconsider. (Especially not pieces with veneer ) thanks for sharing these!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Yes, it's all solid wood, the drawers are made of Poplar and the fronts are Oak. The dark one with stainless drawer slides was very easy to make, considering what you end up with. It's been very handy, since I am so unorganized, helps quite a bit. I will try, in the future, to show off some false dovetail joints, also easy with two jigs that I have made. Some of the joints that you see are finger joints and some are false dovetail joints. I start out with the joints cut at 45 degrees and then add the false joints, also very strong. Bob.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information