Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans

The original plans by Doug Ross are available here:
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/t...6306#post66224

The plans are very detailed with instructions and photos.
    My lathe is only a 7x16 so the grinder is a bit large for my setup so I did have to make some changes.
    Biggest change was the length of the support bar that attaches to the tool post. I cut 4 inches from the length
    and I placed two holes in the bar so that I had two options for mounting on the tool post.
    The belt specified was not available. I actually ordered the belt and the supplier cancelled the order since it was not in stock.
    I did have a few timing belt pulleys so I used them along with a 540mm x 15mm wide timing belt.

I also changed the motor to one I found on eBay that was much smaller and made adjustments to the mounting plate.
    The spindle was shortened by 1".

In retrospect I could have changed the external grinding shaft from .500" to .375" to use smaller grinding wheels.

With the grinder mounted on a custom tool post riser and using the longest reach I have more than 3.5" from
    center of the lathe to center of the tool post grinder. That should be enough reach for anything that I would need to grind.

Overall this is a great set of plans that can be modified to your specific needs without much work.
    Thanks again Doug for a great set of plans.

Cheers, JR

I will post this build in sections since there are more than 20 pictures to post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2298.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2299.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2300.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2301.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2302.jpg  

Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2303.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2304.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2305.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2307.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; Jan 23, 2019 at 02:12 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 27, 2019), PJs (Jan 25, 2019), rossbotics (Jan 24, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 24, 2019)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools

Spindle Housing Washer

I had to think about how to make this one a bit. I took the easy way out and used a piece of
    steel rod 1.250" in diameter. Milled two flats on it 180 degrees apart for the full length.
    While holding on the flats in the mill vise I drilled the 0.265 holes. Counter sunk the holes.
    Sliced it on the band saw to make the washer.
    Cleaned up the washer on the mill.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2286.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2287.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2288.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2289.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2290.jpg  

Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2291.jpg  

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 25, 2019)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools

A few more parts

Spindle arbors in the blue.
    Spindle housing beside a similar blank of aluminum rod.
    Most of the spindle parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2276.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2277.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2292.jpg  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 25, 2019)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools

Assemblies and other shots

Two motors are available for high speed 10K rpm and low speed 5K rpm.
    Large pulley may be used to reduce speed if necessary due to grinding wheel specs.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2278.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2279.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2281.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2282.jpg   Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2294.jpg  

Tool Post Grinder For the Mini Lathe...Modified Rossbotics plans-img_2295.jpg  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 25, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Great work JR.
    Looks really nice sitting on the cross slide of your machine, you did a great job on the modifications to adapt it to your Lathe, one question though, is it a little noisy with the timing belt?

Great job again and thank you for posting your completed project on the site for all to see.

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jan 24, 2019), PJs (Jan 25, 2019)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    What? I can't hear you! Yes it is a bit noisy but not ear shattering or anything like that. I think for occasional use
    it will be fine in my shop. My VFD for the lathe makes almost as much noise and I have set it to run continuously.
    I considered using the timing belt on the smooth side and I will try that even with the timing pulleys. If it runs ok
    I can always make some crowned pulleys. Thought it might be too stiff to form to the crowns.

Thanks again for the very nice set of plans.

Cheers, JR

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 25, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Tool Post Grinder to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jan 27, 2019)

Thread Information