Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tool review and last minute Christmas gift idea: Husky 268 Piece Mechanic's Tool Set

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools

Tool review and last minute Christmas gift idea: Husky 268 Piece Mechanic's Tool Set

Hello everyone. I've started posting tool reviews on my YouTube channel: DIY The Art of Wood whenever I come across a tool that I find to be particularly useful, practical or is a really good deal $$$! Since Christmas is just a couple days away, I thought this would be a good time to post this review in case you need a last minute gift idea. If you open up the video in YouTube, I've provided a link in the description below the video that will take you directly to the product page for current pricing and more information. If you enjoy this video, consider subscribing and ring the blue notification bell so you don't miss any new videos!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Not exactly sure what to think of this type of content. We don't have a policy in place for it, so it's perfectly legitimate as is. While the video states that Home Depot and Husky are not sponsors, it's important to note that the links accompanying the video are affiliate links, which means that the video creator receives a commission for sales (anyone can sign up for this).

I'm very much in favor of YouTubers being able to craft legitimate careers out of their videos, and I know we do have the occasional video with a product placement in it (Banggood is very good at this!).

Wondering what others think about this.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools
    Thank you Jon for the feedback. You are absolutely correct, I do have affiliate links in the description and also have a disclaimer in the video description on YouTube about the affiliate links to inform viewers what affiliate links are and how they work. I chose to post this video to this particulauar forum because the description of the forum states "General tool and shop talk. Ideas, pics, videos, builds, discussions, and jokes about tools and DIY" I felt this was appropriate under "General tool talk" "videos" "Ideas" and "discussions" since the video is a discussion about tools and serves as an idea for a great last minute gift for DIYers. This video hit most of those keywords in the forum description, but maybe I'm looking at that wrong?

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    It's certainly kosher as is, per our rules, and it fits this subforum fine, so you've done nothing wrong there. And the affiliate links are marked as such.

I'm also not sure if the specific tools you're promoting are biasing me. Would I see this differently if Home Depot and Husky stuff were not in the video?

I'm definitely curious how others see it, or if there are suggestions for handling this type of content going forward. I am a HUGE proponent of supporting YouTubers; I hope they turn out to be the television stars of our era.

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools
    So do I! But that’s obviously a self serving thought there. It’s an amazing time we live in. This ability to broadcast and share our own thoughts and creativity instantly to a global audience is a big step forward in our culture. Influence is no longer reserved to just a select few. Question on your comment though, you’re not a fan of Husky or Home Depot? And perhaps a thought, maybe consider opening a new forum reserved for tool reviews?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not exactly sure what to think of this type of content.

Wondering what others think about this.
    The name of the forum is HOMEMADEtools, not Reviews of Commercial Tools. Also, the forum is not meant to be a vehicle for advertising stuff with which the author has a commercial connection.

It doesn't belong here!
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 23, 2018), olderdan (Dec 23, 2018)

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools
    Thank you for your feedback. I think open discussion is great. To address your comment, my interpretation is this, this specific forum is categorized as “Tool Talk” which is described as general discussion about tools, not necessarily homemade tools. This is why I posted this video on this particular forum on this website not the “Homemade Tools” forum. Had I posted it on the “Homemade Tools” forum I would 100% agree with you. I also feel that to make homemade tools, us DIYers need tools to make them with, and posting a video on a thread on this specific forum about a decent set of tools at a reasonable price from the perspective of a DIYer (me) directed at the average home owner or DIYer (everyone that is a member of this forum) was appropriate for the “Tool Talk” forum on this site.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    The name of the forum is HOMEMADEtools, not Reviews of Commercial Tools. Also, the forum is not meant to be a vehicle for advertising stuff with which the author has a commercial connection.

It doesn't belong here!
    I could not have said it better, If you want tool reviews You Tube is full of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYTheArtofWood View Post
    Thank you for your feedback. I think open discussion is great. To address your comment, my interpretation is this, this specific forum is categorized as “Tool Talk” which is described as general discussion about tools, not necessarily homemade tools. This is why I posted this video on this particular forum on this website not the “Homemade Tools” forum. Had I posted it on the “Homemade Tools” forum I would 100% agree with you. I also feel that to make homemade tools, us DIYers need tools to make them with, and posting a video on a thread on this specific forum about a decent set of tools at a reasonable price from the perspective of a DIYer (me) directed at the average home owner or DIYer (everyone that is a member of this forum) was appropriate for the “Tool Talk” forum on this site.
    I'm not going to waste my time and yours debating the issue with you. Jon asked for opinions on your post and I've offered mine.

Allowing a post like yours will make it all the more difficult to reject the posts "reviewing" kitchen gadgets, auto bling, men's jewelry, etc. when they inevitably follow along on your lead. Forums like this are refuges from the constant assault of unwanted advertising. We need to keep it that way.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools
    I realized you're right. I misspoke the Forum is Home Made Tools, the sub-forum is Tool Talk. But that's just semantics though. On that thought, after taking a quick look around through that lens of everything having to be about Home Made Tools, I see a lot of posts throughout this forum that have nothing to do with home made tools. Do those posts not belong on here for the same reason?

Thread Information