Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool for troubleshooting hidden problems

Thanks

dave_rupp's Tools

Tool for troubleshooting hidden problems

First time posting - - - Hope everything is OK!

Several years ago I converted my motorcycle into a trike. Ever since that time I have had trouble getting the trunk lid latched. I had to push very hard many times before it would stay latched. I got to the point of not using it because it was so hard to close. I have tried numerous times over the years to adjust the mechanism. I finally came up with the idea of putting my GoPro camera in the trunk with a bright LED lamp to actually see what was happening and maybe figure out how to fix the problem. After the third attempt I finally figured out the required location to see the problem. I wrapped a narrow piece of “hook” from “Hook and Loop (Velcro)” around the camera and stuck it to the carpeting on the trunk door with the lens aimed at the latch mechanism.

The video shows the post mounted on the door deflecting away from the latch when closing. The bevel on the post is causing the problem. The post is welded in place and can’t be extended so I shimmed the latch mechanism closer to the post and the problem was fixed.

Once I was able to identify the problem it was easy to fix. The camera also showed me that I had a built-in light inside the trunk that I was never aware of.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dave_rupp For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 3, 2023), bob_3000 (Aug 3, 2023), Frank S (Jul 16, 2018), gunsgt1863 (Jul 17, 2018), Jon (Jan 20, 2021), Metallurg33 (Aug 3, 2023), NortonDommi (Jul 17, 2018), nova_robotics (Aug 3, 2023), Paul Jones (Aug 3, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Aug 27, 2018), PJs (Jul 17, 2018), ranald (Jul 18, 2018), rlm98253 (Jul 16, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 16, 2018), sossol (Jul 16, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I often have to use the camera in my phone as a third eye. Sometimes I don't know what I would do without it.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    I was looking forward to the video of the repaired latch so I could see how it was supposed to work after the repair?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Yep great idea, had a wound on my back that needed a new dressing but no-one around so i set up sony action cam on tripod pointed @ the area then used my phone to see where to place new dressing, done. Ahh.. Technology. Thanks for sharing

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I haven't encounted such a problem though I did have a 3 metre Taipan in my shed and the snake catcher advised me to corner it & call him to come get it! WTF he lives about 1/2 hour away- blow that for a game of soldiers. Instead I purchased a flexible lighted mirror (mostly used in vehicle mtce) to check any place I needed to access where the creature may be resting, Pretty scarey when you see one eyeballing you: they apparently have the best eyesight of all land snakes(beside being the most venomous) where others see heat patterns & feel vibrations/ I have my compressor leaning against the metal shed wall and switch it on when entering the shed when I think he is active as I dont want to startle it.Fortunately they are fairly timid unless provoked or stood on or cornered. Nature & intuition are wonderful things: my hair on my neck used to stand on end & I would place down whatever I was doing and leave the workshop. This went on for a few months (not every time i ventured into the shop) until I saw it.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yep a Taipan in the workshop would definitely qualify as a hidden problem.
    in my area rattle snake bites are on the rise this year. My opinion of it is because of PETA's interference in our annual regional rattlesnake round up. They would love to see the practice stopped entirely but so far have only managed to place limits on totals allowed to be caught and processed all the rest must be returned to where they were caught.
    In the past I have found them hiding in my storage units. I quickly did what any farm boy would do I eliminated them. so far this year I have only found a single snake it was in my chicken coop the puppies had a good meal even though 1 pup had a swollen face for a few days. Now before I enter a shed or my shop I send in the mutts they have become my hidden problem discovery tools

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jul 18, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    My "Jack Russell" has a good nose for them, even ripping a skin instantly when found. He is so determined I have to carry him to the house & lock in laundry with all the yelping, barking & crying to get back to the job. I opened My shed , after being away for a few weeks and then a 21st, and the dog went nuts : he found 3 in minutes. It is illegal to kill native snakes here & rifles are outlawed so only outlaws (& police) have any except for special circumstances like very lerge acreage farms.
    This is good though as we have not had another "Port Arthur" incident.

THIS IS FUNNY (now).After hearing a blood-curdling whail from my partner(years ago), I investigated what ailed her in our walk through robe & found a Taipan. I pinned it down carefully after my son fetched a post hole shovel. I sent him for one of some hessian bags I have for smoking bees (newer ones are toxic). He took 1/2 hour & I became tired keeping the gentle pressure on the reptile so placed too much weight on the snake. It became very agressive and, as I had pinned it a little over a foot from its head, it started striking everywhere & our floor tiles: I could hear the ceramic-like fangs hitting the tiles. I then sent my son for tree loppers. I had to kneel near enough to the taipan to enable taking off its head so, had one hand on the shovel, one one the top handle of the loppers and knealt my knee on the bottom handle. I eventually snagged it= would have gone viral on utube (with me in very hot water). We kept the dead culprit in a jar to remind the visiting neighbours' children to "shut the glass sliders" upon entry. I've red that they are the only snake that can bight through a steel cap of a boot.
    Campers here must not roll out their bed roll/sleeping bag until climbing in as these guys love such dark warm homey places.
    Can laugh about it now! But,sadlyFrank, it is good to know others have similar probs.LOL.
    Thanks for sharing

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    While I won't go out of my way to hunt down an offending creature such as a poisonous snake and won't shoot a bird of prey out of the air if it is simply flying around looking for a meal. If that snake is in or around any structure or where my wife might step on it, it will become dog food. The same with ANY large bird if is swoops on my chickens or other small animals. Now Skunk, fox, weasels, bob cats, raccoons, coyotes and those kind of critters are another matter and here lately I have had to root out a few porcupines from a couple of my sheds. Porcupines are not aggressive. but if you reach behind a cabinet and find 1 it is going to hurt trying to get all of the quills out plus they can bite and cases of them carrying rabies have been reported in the area. My little pocket 9 mm and my little Rossi .410 get a lot of use every year. Not so much any of my rifles or larger shotguns or revolvers. Well my 270 gets some as I can reach out several hundred yards to take out a coyote.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Frank, I give up on chickens a couple of years back. The Pythons are troublesome but it is the feral cats, foxes, dingoes and goss hawks that were the major culprits here. The european fox (grey & red ones)is nasty as it only rips out the chest to get the liver/kidneys. Large Wedgetail eagles seemed too wary of our dogs & us humans but my daughter's little terrier is kept inside almost all the time: she weighs about 2.5 kg or 6 pound=perfect for goss hawks & pythons. A neighbour's dog was taken by wild dogs but its coat broke & it escaped to live another day. The bush is a wonderful place to live so long as we are boy scouts=prepared. I just came in from shed where i heard the tell tale scales on metal sound: slow, so probably a big python. Off I go back to a job there now I have had some sustanence.
    Cheers

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    All the more reason to build yourself a black powder smooth bore then make your own powder and shot for those hidden dangers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Sep 17, 2018)

Thread Information