Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool for troubleshooting hidden problems

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    yep! LOL. Probably blow myself up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    There must be jokes about help from leprechauns, small children or mothers-in-law for problems like this...
    I forget all the camera's we have at our fingertips. The one time I recall, trying to solve a coolant leak, none of those would fit plus risk of damage. I was able to borrow a fiber-optic device; these have become popular with plumbers and mechanics. And costs have dropped tremendously.

dave_rupp's video solution might finally remind and implant idea of employing digital images within confined spaces.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There are wireless motion activated security systems with up to 20 cameras now. Some of these systems are becoming almost reasonably priced.
    These could be employed in areas where critters of the slithering kind could hide. Perhaps even some non lethal deterant system could be triggered as well. That might be a solution that would help to prevent our slithering co-occupants away.
    I have worked on equipment where the only way to find a leak was when it was running but like TM51 has said to use my phone would have been dangerous. Have wished I had a way to place a wireless fingernail sized camera in certain tight areas that I could remote view.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    There must be jokes about help from leprechauns, small children or mothers-in-law for problems like this...
    I forget all the camera's we have at our fingertips. The one time I recall, trying to solve a coolant leak, none of those would fit plus risk of damage. I was able to borrow a fiber-optic device; these have become popular with plumbers and mechanics. And costs have dropped tremendously.

dave_rupp's video solution might finally remind and implant idea of employing digital images within confined spaces.
    Even better, using a camera in this role may finally produce a legitimate use for the "selfie stick". (What genetic disorder makes people want to take pictures of their grinning-like-an-idiot visage standing in front of every locale they've ever visited?)

I've long used my credit card-sized Canon SD780 to take pictures of machinery labels in ill-lit corners, then used the zoom on the resulting image to read details. When you do this, turn on the flash. The harsh light of the flash often brings out details hard to see in natural light.

Tool for troubleshooting hidden problems-canon_sd_780.jpg

BTW, the credit card account was closed out many years ago :-)
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 22, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I've often wondered if there was an actual reason to own a selfie stick. You may have come up with one.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I suppose I could dig out my android and use it as a camera only. I threw it in a cupboard and went back to a $20 dumb phone as we have no mob service & some smart phones go a bit off trying to connect to other stuff: everything but make or receive a phone call-drove me mad. Of course it will need a new sim=never ends.

Marv is right about selfies: I saw a series of a photographer's pics of folk using their media. He then removed the device from the pics==very, very funny. In the old days they would have been "commited" along with everyone talking on blutooth as if mumbling to them selves. Ha Ha.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Had some of the grand kids over a few years ago. They were looking through an old photo album. Seeing hard print pictures was strange to them as MY Daughter had put all of her's in an electronic viewer.
    Then they asked me why wasn't I in any of them.
    Someone has to take the picture I said.
    then the youngest I think she was 6 pulled out her phone clipped her selfie stick to it sat down beside me and took our picture
    See that's how you do it she said.
    I about cracked up laughing. She could not grasp the mere concept that those things have not always existed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 22, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I think that is becoming more common for us "a little bit older" folk. I recently visited my son and his partner's parents were out from NZ for a holliday. My grandson was rolling his eyes from poppy to poppy; then he exclaimed "I have TWO poppies" in disbelief. He had seen his NZ grandfather on skype and thought we were the one person. Really funny but scarey with technology. When we were young they made black & white sci-fi movies about space travel & later George Jetson in colour, was talking on a tv screen to someone far away. I remember electricity & phones entering the realm of rural areas. Even more scarey was the novel about an unsinkable ship called "the Titan" that sunk after hitting an iceberg: and a decade or so later it happened.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CANON_SD_780.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	24855
    BTW, the credit card account was closed out many years ago :-)
    Glad you told us right off......I've a long list awaiting purchase at www,remotejungle.com Naturally, some gift for you as well!

The benefit of phone cameras probably hinge on LED lighting. A small HFT flashlight is ideal to read motor tags when you can get your face near it.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 22, 2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Can't depend on humor alone!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 1, 2018)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I've often wondered if there was an actual reason to own a selfie stick. You may have come up with one.
    I haven't. I don't.

And if any of my grandchildren comes up with a smart comment about using them: she is out of my will.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; Jul 30, 2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Paul A.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 1, 2018)

Thread Information