Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool for troubleshooting hidden problems

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Oh look a phone drone something else for target practice

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Despite the ubiquity of the selfie stick, we have not yet reached peak selfie annoyance:

But we may have reached the end of battery life for the selfie inclined. Good one Jon!

PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Yeah, a couple of days ago was sitting on verandah looking over our private scenery & enjoying a beer when I heard the whiring of a dastardly thing down our creek. I jumped in 4 by 4 in persuit of it & owner & it took off in opposite direction after I rounded the corner. Apparently checking out "Kerbside cleanup" without anyone being seen. We live in a semi rural backdrop. where 5 acres is the smallest plot & we are in a no-through road. What next? Think "I'll go and eat some worms".
    Cheers

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I suppose since a drone can be used for finding things in hidden places talking about them is germane to this thread.
    Some may know that I live in a very rural area The nearest resident neighbor is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile away as the crow flies. but there is a reasonably large ranch adjacent to my property. Reasonably large as the guy owns several 1000 acres but the section near me is only about 4 to 600 acres. He has a small helicopter that I have seen him flying over his place from time to time checking on his cattle I don't think much about it as he has never drifted over the fence line there is really no reason to as he can see quite far from high up. But recently I noticed a drone flying over so I called him to make sure it was him flying it as we have several city hunters come out from time to time and in the fall he moves his cattle to another section of his ranch for the hunter leases he lets out. But that in my mind does not entitle the city guys to play with their drones over my property. I have about 1/2 a mile of shared fence line with the rancher.
    Anyway he said he had recently gotten his certificate from the FAA as none line of sight drone pilot or what ever they call themselves. Meaning he can sit at his home about 5 miles away and watch his drone and would I please not shoot his several $1000.00's drone out of the sky. I told him fly it over some time and hover it near enough that I can recognize it's shape color and identifying numbers that way I will know who it belongs to because all others that cross the fence line becomes skeet practice. And he may want to educate his city hunters of the fact.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 5, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Oh look a phone drone something else for target practice
    And the owner gets a thrill out of the approaching projectile or shot pattern. My phone can do but 1/12 of its supposed 12 day standby time; not a candidate for any apps or accessories!
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 3, 2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    My phone can do but 1/12 of its supposed 12 day standby time; not a candidate for any apps or accessories!
    Every morning when I wake up the first thing I do is put my phone on charge that way by the time I'm finished with my breakfast and have fed all of the animals it is fully charged and as long as Bob doesn't call me while he is bored to tears while driving or loading his truck ," He uses a wireless head set by the way", my phone should last all day. If he calls it will probably go dead THANKFULLY about half way through his conversation. Since I don't have a head set I just put mine on speaker and toss it on the work bench while trying to continue working I can only guess what it sounds like on the other end with my hammering or a machine running but I don't care to talk on the phone for very long anyway.
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 4, 2018 at 12:22 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 4, 2018)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ... fully charged and as long as Bob doesn't call me while he is bored to tears while driving or loading his truck... If he calls it will probably go dead THANKFULLY about half way through his conversation...I just put mine on speaker and toss it on the work bench while trying to continue working I can only guess what it sounds like on the other end with my hammering or a machine running but I don't care to talk on the phone for very long anyway.
    OK, I'll try to remember that. My phone will cut off before yours goes dead!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    At presen, here, t the drones' owners have more rights than the folk they "perv" on, exc for around airports etc.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Being attached with some regulation to our FAA, shooting even just AT one is a federal offense, as are most any airborne device.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Being attached with some regulation to our FAA, shooting even just AT one is a federal offense, as are most any airborne device.
    This actually becomes a grey area when encountering a UAS over your own rural property. In TX and OK. Laws have been passed that no UAS may be flown over any animal feeding area excepting the land owner flying over his own animals to include in some cases wildlife and game animals.
    Federal aviation air space does not extend all the way to the ground. the elevation above ground surface varies by region and in some cases topology. Again though a plane could not be shot out of the sky simply because it was flying within a a few feet of the ground. Other statutes would have to come into play such as the Castle doctrine which has as many gray areas as there are shadows cast in the Sistine Chapel at noon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 5, 2018)

Thread Information