Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool for troubleshooting hidden problems

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Don't get too excited. That's probably fog, not steam.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Oct 6, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Don't get too excited. That's probably fog, not steam.

<video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/pedestrian_crossing_fogger.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>
    Cool or hot! what when novelty wears off?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    That Fogger is a great invention. Might stop the cell phone users, always looking down, from stepping out into traffic or trains. Recently where I live, an 18 year old, eyes glued to cell phone, pods in ears, stepped in front of an approaching train, with the inevitable tragic result. Council intends to fix this problem by installing automatic pedestrian gates at 12 at risk level crossings, at a rate payer cost of around $7,000,000. Forget the fact that these crossings already have automatic vehicle barriers, complete with bells and flashing lights, in plain view, we now need to save the pedestrians as well. I see a couple of better solutions to this problem than the Fogger in the video:-
    1. Paint zebra crossing lines on the rail crossing, then any accident could be blamed on the Train, not the pedestrian. (Today society always wants to blame anyone except the injured party).
    2. Perhaps we could build even better gadgets that deliver some real punch. Lets create Electromagnetic Pulse Full Face Fogger Blasters, (EMPFFFB's), to knock the offenders backwards out of harms way, spray them with an indelible dye fog, and destroy their cell phones at the same time.
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Oct 6, 2018 at 05:27 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 14, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 6, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    That Fogger is a great invention. Might stop the cell phone users, always looking down, from stepping out into traffic or trains. Recently where I live, an 18 year old, eyes glued to cell phone, pods in ears, stepped in front of an approaching train, with the inevitable tragic result. Council intends to fix this problem by installing automatic pedestrian gates at 12 at risk level crossings, at a rate payer cost of around $7,000,000. Forget the fact that these crossings already have automatic vehicle barriers, complete with bells and flashing lights, in plain view, we now need to save the pedestrians as well. I see a couple of better solutions to this problem than the Fogger in the video:-
    1. Paint zebra crossing lines on the rail crossing, then any accident could be blamed on the Train, not the pedestrian. (Today society always wants to blame anyone except the injured party).
    2. Perhaps we could build even better gadgets that deliver some real punch. Lets create Electromagnetic Pulse Full Face Fogger Blasters, (EMPFFFB's), to knock the offenders backwards out of harms way, spray them with an indelible dye fog, and destroy their cell phones at the same time.
    All good points Moby Duck! The $7M investment is probably an actuarial claim that the investment will probably pay for itself after only 7 incidents, considering the costs of litigation, arbitration and the media frenzy surrounding them. Perhaps we should have the insurance company's pay for it. This applies to traffic lights (~$250-500K/ +$8k maint.), Signage ($50-$500/), surveillance cameras (~$8.1M med.-large city), crossing painting ($2500 Avg.) and all the infrastructure to monitor and maintain it ($1M-$10M). The actuarial's tend to think the savings in litigation, crime prevention, and blame assignment can reap a 50% "savings" over cost...just for Surveillance cameras. Keyword Savings!

"The city’s surveillance system cost $8.1 million as of mid-2008 for startup and ongoing maintenance, and that investment has resulted in $12 million in avoided “victimization” and criminal justice costs according to the Urban Institute. In other words, for every $1 spent on surveillance cameras, $1.50 is saved." It is my guess that lawyers could pocket most of that...Savings.

The questions I have, are; Will anything prevent stupidity? Are the $10-100B's spent on the backs of taxpayers for legislation, control and surveillance on crime, traffic, pedestrians, etc., ad-nauseam for a growing 10-15% of the population that are criminals or stupid, worth it, or is another less expensive solution possible with less invasive controls. Perhaps we could do better if we do as Graham Nash suggests in Teach Your Children

However, tending toward what Heinlein said; “Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:54 AM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 14, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    All good points Moby Duck! The $7M investment is probably an actuarial claim that the investment will probably pay for itself after only 7 incidents, considering the costs of litigation, arbitration and the media frenzy surrounding them. Perhaps we should have the insurance company's pay for it. This applies to traffic lights (~$250-500K/ +$8k maint.), Signage ($50-$500/), surveillance cameras (~$8.1M med.-large city), crossing painting ($2500 Avg.) and all the infrastructure to monitor and maintain it ($1M-$10M). The actuarial's tend to think the savings in litigation, crime prevention, and blame assignment can reap a 50% "savings" over cost...just for Surveillance cameras. Keyword Savings!

"The city’s surveillance system cost $8.1 million as of mid-2008 for startup and ongoing maintenance, and that investment has resulted in $12 million in avoided “victimization” and criminal justice costs according to the Urban Institute. In other words, for every $1 spent on surveillance cameras, $1.50 is saved." It is my guess that lawyers could pocket most of that...Savings.

The questions I have, are; Will anything prevent stupidity? Are the $10-100B's spent on the backs of taxpayers for legislation, control and surveillance on crime, traffic, pedestrians, etc., ad-nauseam for a growing 10-15% of the population that are criminals or stupid, worth it, or is another less expensive solution possible with less invasive controls. Perhaps we could do better if we do as Graham Nash suggests in Teach Your Children

However, tending toward what Heinlein said; “Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

PJ
    Hi Guys,

Here we have a modern techno problem for solving. To protect us from ourselves
    Last edited by ranald; Oct 14, 2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: computer crash

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    seem to have a somewhat "stupid" techno glitch. Even 2 attempts at editing failed all because I touched the space bar.
    Anyway we are always being protected from our selves by government controls & it is the very small minority that are the taxpayers problem. We simply cant stop stupidity or impulsiveness of the mostly young. So i think the technos' with the gift (esp the hackers) could put their ingenuity to solving such dilemnas. Brainstorm.

Here we need something to prevent the reckless behaviour at crossings. Why not investigate/invent a high pitch sound that doesn't affect hearing aids or normal hearing but alert those with ear phones at very close distance to rail crossings and/or to temporily interefere with transmission to cell phones at those crossings.

Our governments are always changing/updating laws with fines to fund all manner of activity. In our local town of Pomona Qld the State was going to cut of our only pedestrian access (except for non rainy times) due to the "risk factor" of trains hitting pedestrians. A petition about dividing the town won & the tax payer will incur the much greater cost to protect us fro stupidity. Another nearby town of Cooran, hurt when 2 youths jumped a train and were electricuted. Special crossings would not have protected them from that behavour.

We can't have a couple of beers while fishing in a small row boat or tinnie a 100metres from the ramp without risking loosing all our car, truck, forklift, excavator, boat etc licences due to idiotic behavour of the minority. I was boarded by "The Moreton Bay Cowboys"(water police) many years ago & my vessel gone over with a fine tooth comb: I had way more safety gear than that area required by law, no alcohol or drugs, & was questioned about my "reflector" ( I told the officious person I also had some highly polished Alvey reels that could be used as reflectors,; serial numbers of my motor & auxillery were noted all in the name of "being seen out there & to be doing something" . My 6 yo nephew, visiting from the UK, was very obliging in pointing out the radio, life jackets, buckets, V sheet, , bilge pumps (2 electric & 1 manual), marine 2 way radio, compass, torches, spotlight, lighting etc etc that I had shown him before our day fishing excursion. On another ocassion at Manly boat ramp I was threatened with a fine for removing one stone to chock the trailer wheel of someones as the slippery ramp was dragging the owners vehicle into the sea as he tried to winch in & trailer his boat. Somewhat peeved, I asked the inspector why he was watching the incident withour offering assistance : response was " i'll let you off the 10 grand fine this time" and he proceeded to watch the entertainment as a couple of others joined in to assist ( as most boaties do). We have to have someone to police the laws but they are human and some are pedantic hitlers.

I think there is a good/better solution to some issues/problems, we just need to look forther than knee jerk reactions.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Oct 14, 2018), Frank S (Oct 14, 2018), PJs (Oct 14, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 14, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Special walkway for people who are texting on their mobile phones. Labeled as Lithuania.

The sign icon is clever! But not clever enough to overcome my disappointment at the fact that such a thing exists.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 27, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 27, 2018), will52100 (Dec 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I've always been pessimistic about the dumbing-down of the human population but the fact that stuff like that is not only done, but is perceived as needing to be done puts a cap on it.

It's reassuring to know that the great apes are there in the wings, ready to take over when the humans go extinct.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 27, 2018), will52100 (Dec 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Special walkway for people who are texting on their mobile phones. Labeled as Lithuania.

The sign icon is clever! But not clever enough to overcome my disappointment at the fact that such a thing exists.

Even with the special walkways they are still assuming 1 very important factor, that the 2 brain cell creatures will be aware enough of their surroundings to walk along the pathway.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 27, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    It's too late I'm afraid...they are everywhere. Perhaps signs like Curb your dog or cell phone instead of a dedicated walkways at big bucks...but alas, they wouldn't see them while texting. And there is a park bench right there...
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information