Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tool of the week button?

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools

tool of the week button?

Regarding the "tool of the Week" I was wondering what other tools and builders have won that particular award. I love to be able to look them all up. but when i searched for them i got no result. Is this an easy to fix item?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,847 Times in 11,339 Posts
    Very interesting you would ask this. I actually just finished moving all of the Tool of the Week threads into our new Must Read forum. Here's the raw data:

10/03/14 - rossbotics - Surface Gage
    10/10/14 - Christophe Mineau - A Carving platform
    10/17/14 - CedarSlayer - Nifty site this!
    10/24/14 - Liquidhandwash - Desktop cnc mill
    10/31/14 - rossbotics - Filing Machine
    11/07/14 - immortalx - Fretboard Radius Drum Sander
    11/14/14 - MetalDesigner - Radius Cutting Lathe Experiment
    11/21/14 - dozerbuilder01 - Caterpillar Twenty Two Mini Dozer Build
    11/28/14 - Vernon - Homemade Belt Sander
    12/05/14 - Paul Jones - Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps
    12/12/14 - Clinton - Homemade rifling tool for barrels
    12/19/14 - Christophe Mineau - Spokeshave
    12/26/14 - Powless Design - Dovetail sliding table with dust collection
    01/02/15 - robert62 - Pump Oil Can
    01/09/15 - rob streeper - Hand saws that I build
    01/16/15 - Captainleeward - Atmospheric Water Generator.
    01/23/15 - Christophe Mineau - My Disk Sander built
    01/30/15 - Eagle_view - An Sheet Metal flange Bender
    02/06/15 - hardtail69 - Belt sander
    02/13/15 - Hotz - Test Vacuum...
    02/20/15 - rossbotics - Slitting Saw Arbor
    02/27/15 - immortalx - Drill press mod
    03/06/15 - Paul Jones - Lathe Leveling Foot Pads

Going forward, we'll be moving all high quality new threads into the Must Reads forum. We also issued a new award to our two 3-time Tool of the Week winners: Christophe Mineau and rossbotics.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Mar 14, 2015), DIYer (Mar 12, 2015), Hotz (Jun 13, 2015), Mark Fogleman (Mar 30, 2015), Workshopshed (Mar 13, 2015)

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools
    thanks this is great. love seeing all the work.

Thanks

Raising the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Very interesting you would ask this. I actually just finished moving all of the Tool of the Week threads into our new Must Read forum.
    Going forward, we'll be moving all high quality new threads into the Must Reads forum. We also issued a new award to our two 3-time Tool of the Week winners: Christophe Mineau and rossbotics.

Personally, I think that to win tool of the week, the winner should post a detailed plan of the project, so that others may also benefit from making their own. Should they want to. This would also auto-create a new forum, "Refinements and Improvements" as people inevitably build the original idea, then realize what they would do better, refine it, post it, and then maybe the 2 three time winners could benefit as well from that. Help each other.
    Inspire each other.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,847 Times in 11,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Made Home View Post
    Personally, I think that to win tool of the week, the winner should post a detailed plan of the project, so that others may also benefit from making their own.
    Requests for plans or additional details are a common feedback point here. Agreed on the benefit of public refinements and improvements to the project.

We're also thinking of instituting another award for "Best Documented Too Build". The documentation could be plans, blueprints, writeup, video, etc. What do you think of that idea?

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Requests for plans or additional details are a common feedback point here. Agreed on the benefit of public refinements and improvements to the project.

We're also thinking of instituting another award for "Best Documented Too Build". The documentation could be plans, blueprints, writeup, video, etc. What do you think of that idea?

Haha. I think ANYTHING that will get me a plan of some of this awesome stuff is a step in the right direction!!

I feel like maybe that you are thinking "if they wanted to post a plan they would have." "Don't want to be bugging these guys"
    Lets face it, in reality there are tons of sites with guys posting "hey look what I have and you don't" pics.
    They are a dime a dozen.
    Having said that, I love ( FREAKIN L_O_V_E!! ) this site because someone else gleans thru all the crap and puts the best of the best on here for me, and also from sites I've never heard of and may never otherwise have seen, to boot!!
    If the idea behind this internet supremacy stuff is to continually push the envelope, to keep evolving into something unique, then why not let it be an awesome site like this one ?..... One who structures itself to award/promote/recognize those Craftsmen who want to be a part of "changing things up".
    I guarantee you that not one of these awesome projects were made just "off the cuff". Everyone of them started off with an idea followed by some careful planning. Anything from a pencil sketch on the back of a napkin, to a sketchup skp file, to a full blown CAD drawing... they have them. And I bet they'd be proud to post them, if asked, however rough they may be.... with the knowledge that other craftsmen or even beginners (like me), are going to make MY project. And if we keep the thread open, they'll post their funky results, [and the plans for them], and someone else will get motivated or inspired and make a whole "nudder" version... or maybe a small (or large) improvement. and post the plans for that, and so on and so on... Ultimately a completely different thing will evolve, maybe something surreal or sublime.... and all who posted will have been a huge part of that. And the original poster, will forever be the founding father...and well documented as such.
    Tell me, WHO's not going to post his plan when he/she understands that?

Lets take it to the next level. Some promotion, sure. lots of explaining it, maybe!... but SOOO worth it.
    And totally unique. Not just another show and brag site......A DIY'ers share and collaborate coffee house. well, Kind of. What do I know? Just a thought.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Agreed, Made Home. Detailed plans are always welcome!

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Made Home View Post
    Haha. I think ANYTHING that will get me a plan of some of this awesome stuff is a step in the right direction!!

I feel like maybe that you are thinking "if they wanted to post a plan they would have." "Don't want to be bugging these guys"
    Lets face it, in reality there are tons of sites with guys posting "hey look what I have and you don't" pics.
    They are a dime a dozen.
    Having said that, I love ( FREAKIN L_O_V_E!! ) this site because someone else gleans thru all the crap and puts the best of the best on here for me, and also from sites I've never heard of and may never otherwise have seen, to boot!!
    If the idea behind this internet supremacy stuff is to continually push the envelope, to keep evolving into something unique, then why not let it be an awesome site like this one ?..... One who structures itself to award/promote/recognize those Craftsmen who want to be a part of "changing things up".
    I guarantee you that not one of these awesome projects were made just "off the cuff". Everyone of them started off with an idea followed by some careful planning. Anything from a pencil sketch on the back of a napkin, to a sketchup skp file, to a full blown CAD drawing... they have them. And I bet they'd be proud to post them, if asked, however rough they may be.... with the knowledge that other craftsmen or even beginners (like me), are going to make MY project. And if we keep the thread open, they'll post their funky results, [and the plans for them], and someone else will get motivated or inspired and make a whole "nudder" version... or maybe a small (or large) improvement. and post the plans for that, and so on and so on... Ultimately a completely different thing will evolve, maybe something surreal or sublime.... and all who posted will have been a huge part of that. And the original poster, will forever be the founding father...and well documented as such.
    Tell me, WHO's not going to post his plan when he/she understands that?

Lets take it to the next level. Some promotion, sure. lots of explaining it, maybe!... but SOOO worth it.
    And totally unique. Not just another show and brag site......A DIY'ers share and collaborate coffee house. well, Kind of. What do I know? Just a thought.
    Yes yes a thousand times yes! This site is different. If there is any bragging it seems to be the kind that says here is how I did it. Not, here is what I have. There is pride here, pride of making something with your own two hands, but more than that, a willingness to show others how you did it. That is the essence of community, and fraternity. Face it we are a Fraternity of tool mongers

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools
    I LOVE it. made home hit the nail on the head.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Not just another show and brag site. Love that statement, Made Home!

Thread Information