Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tools required for casting polyester resin?

Thanks

Tools required for casting polyester resin?

I've been thinking about experimenting with polyester turning blanks. Rather than simply buying them, a more custom set of color combinations can be obtained by casting them at home.

What are the necessary tools to obtain and steps to take for casting polyester resin in the home workshop?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 16, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks for another good thread Ken.

I've only dabbled in making Mosaic pins but would love to know more about the casting process also. I had the inevitable problems of air bubbles and keeping the resin contained in liquid form in the tubing. I talked with our local really nice Tap Plastic people and they recommended elevating the temp of the mold and reduce the % of hardener a bit. It helped but they gave no specific values. I also found it effected the parting of pieces in the lathe. Slower speed was a better finish but a freshly sharp tool with about a 10° rake worked best. Don't know much about pen turning but admire the art/craftsmanship of it. Also found some good info on the Pen Turner Org but again no real specifics.

Name:  Mosaic Pin.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  12.1 KB

I personally would love to know more about the mold materials based on the typical MEK hardener and hopefully more details or results from temps and mix strategies. Hopefully some of the wizards on this forum can point us in the right directions.
    Thanks! ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I've been thinking not so much of turning pens (though I love classic pens - I have a 1942 Sheaffer Triumph vac-fill on my desk at the moment), but of shaving brushes.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Ken

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 16, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Very Nice Pen!!...a far cry from my old reliable 68' Parker 51 but do have my moms old Sheaffer set from the early 50's. ~¿@

Hadn't thought about shaving brushes but there are a myriad of uses out there for casting this stuff. I wanted water clear for this project but had some thoughts of a marbled look or exotic colors for future ones.

You inspired me and found this write up which is pretty good. For me it gave good information on mold type materials. UK Pen Kits also makes blank shaving brush blanks himself. But haven't found anyone (even YT) out there that tell the secrets of temp, bubble removal, colorization, or any info on release agents for cylindrical molds. Thanks for the inspiration! ~PJ

Thanks
    1942 was the Triumph's first year of release and this particular pen has a lot of family history. My father-in-law bought it (it must've been out no more than a few weeks) on his way to ship out as a SeaBee. He carried it with him throughout the war in the South Pacific (Guadalcanal and other garden spots) and used it to write all his letters home. I had it restored as a Christmas gift for my wife two years ago. She was thrilled, though I use it more myself these days. Two quick pics, both pre- and post-restoration:

Tools required for casting polyester resin?-1942sheaffertriumph-2_zps1c5c093c.jpg Tools required for casting polyester resin?-b8bca3d0-99f9-4b74-9150-675588d1ac0a_zpsiys8mvrr.jpg

Good find (thanks!) on the casting instructions. Here's a YouTube channel of a guy who casts and turns his own blanks for shaving brushes. Lots of info in there if you can ignore the state of his shop and general informality.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC70...HMkpjwvPqbhgXg

Ken

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 16, 2015)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi Ken,
    Maybe you know Carl Jacobson's Channel, he's a famous Youtuber in the wootdurning community, and he has showed several items turned out of multicolor synthetic stuff.
    I think he says this is salvaged automotive paint leftovers from a professional car painter, but not very sure.
    See this one fer instance :
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Truly heartwarming story about your father-in-law using it to write home. My dad (at 16 shhh!) was on a tanker (USS Tomahawk) in the South Pacific so I understand the garden spot of it. The pen is beautiful either way based on the history and looks like they may have replaced the nib during restoration? Thanks for sharing that beautiful keepsake...gave me goose bumps!

Thanks for the YT link...you were right I thought I was caught in a Spike Lee movie with Charlie Browns Mom narrating and won't go there about the shop. The hour long one was better but never did find out what that release agent was. Vacuum Pump may be a cool idea? Also liked the pigment and turning stuff. Are you thinking of building one or some for yourself? ~PJ

Thanks
    I could tell you stories about Frank (my late, belated father in law) all day. He never talked about the war to his kids, but I heard it all - I'm sure he appreciated that I got it. He was watching on the beach the day Joe Foss earned his MoH. His primary job at Henderson Field was to replace the Marsden matting (usually under fire) that had been shot up by the Zeroes. I remember visiting the Kalamazoo Air Zoo with him one time and he recognized guys in photos on the wall. The curator came out and rearranged some of the display cases according to Frank's recollections of exactly what came in each ration pack. When the war ended, he was on a ship enroute for the manned invasion of Japan. His description of the Captain's announcement and their eventual return to Pearl (the first time he passed through there, the harbor was still a disaster zone with leaking oil and debris everywhere) and then San Francisco still gives me chills. He and his friends had no expectation whatsoever of surviving the next few months. Suffice it to say, I was extremely proud to shake Paul Tibbets' hand. A great man and a great American.

Regarding the shaving brushes, I'm thinking of making some as an experiment. If all goes well - and it's not too onerous a task - I might sell a few down the road. I'm an enthusiastic traditional wet-shaver and making brushes seems like more fun than buying them.

Ken

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 16, 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Hi Ken,
    Maybe you know Carl Jacobson's Channel, he's a famous Youtuber in the wootdurning community, and he has showed several items turned out of multicolor synthetic stuff.
    I think he says this is salvaged automotive paint leftovers from a professional car painter, but not very sure.
    See this one fer instance :
    Thanks, Christophe! That channel is a new one for me. I've bookmarked it for the weekend. Automotive paint? Very interesting…

Ken

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information