Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tourbillon movement - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KickStart View Post
    I just read the Wiki page, and I gathered that they actually work for pure mechanical timepieces better than without them, but still don't stand up to a simple quartz watch for accuracy.
    Of course not but you must understand that the people who buy such watches buy them for their esthetics and conspicuous consumption, not as a means of telling time accurately.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    the question is still, Who need that accurate time anyways? A minute this way or that will not make very much difference. But the real beauty of a metal movement with the accuracy of this design is as good as your battery and will not worry about a dying battery.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    the question is still, Who need that accurate time anyways? A minute this way or that will not make very much difference. But the real beauty of a metal movement with the accuracy of this design is as good as your battery and will not worry about a dying battery.
    You're right in the sense that accuracy in the absolute sense usually isn't that important. The problem is drift. Mechanical watches, especially less expensive ones, will gain/lose time at a more or less constant rate. Unless you know the rate and time to the last correction, you're never really sure how far off the watch might be. Resetting your watch every day isn't practical. Also, if it doesn't have a battery it needs to be rewound - either manually or by activity via an internal pendulum.

Electronic watches utilize a high-frequency crystal oscillator stepped down to one Hz. These can be made very frequency stable, especially in the relatively constant temperature environment of a human wrist. Drift is much less of a concern.

Or you can have it all. My inexpensive Casio has an electronic drive and resynchronizes the absolute time by listening to the NBS radio broadcast every night. In addition, the dial face is a solar cell so it has no battery; a capacitor stores charge when light is available.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Long time ago before invention of electronic navigation we had to know correct time. That time ship’s chronometers were expensive mechanical watches and we kept 'chronometer rate book' by daily updates of correct time and daily rate. We were getting correct time by time signal provided by radio officer. Nowadays we don’t have radio officers on board and all these new chronometers only look like they did long time ago, brass frame in wooden box, nice fancy dial, but inside is ordinary quartz movement watch. And we are still required to keep chronometer rate book. We are getting correct time from GPS receiver. And having sextant on board is still requirement even I am not sure if young generation of deck officers can use it at all.

Best regards
    LMMasterMariner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    A few years ago I purchased this 5 inch high carriage clock because of its Tourbillon movement. It has a very sensitive timing adjuster. I finally mastered getting the time adjustment set correctly and now very accurate and less dependent on temperature variations.

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/u...ustments-33451

My favorite clock movements are the Atmos clocks powered by variations in temperature and atmospheric pressure changes in the environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmos_clock

Regards,

Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 20, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    This is the kind of stuff that could turn me into a "fancy watch guy". When you put aside the utility (a $10 watch is difficult to outperform), and the weird man-jewelry component, you're left with the fact that you get to wear this fascinating gear movement and technological achievement on your wrist. Of course, I would probably have to sell my house to afford a watch with a tourbillon in it.

There seems to some sort of connection between something like this and the far more primitive geared jewelry, like that from Kinekt Design.

What if you could just "wear" a tourbillon, without the watch part? Minus the timekeeping mechanism, I guess this would be a tourbillon bracelet, which might be pushing it a bit. But what about tourbillon cuff links? Belt buckle?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 21, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A belt buckle? Hummm. not quite as useful as the one I had with a .22 5 shot revolver clipped in it. Might make some guys trim up their waistline so they could see it without having to look in a mirror though.
    Women might want one turned into body jewelry as a way to get guys to notice them. Naa that would be carrying it too far the, envelope of the current public exposure indecency laws are pushed to their limits already.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    The way things look on the street these days, a Tourbillon nose ring would make a statement. Not saying what that statement might be but you'd certainly attract attention.

As far as buying one, this one...

Greubel Forsey GMT Tourbillon Men's Watch Model: 97805

has a visible movement but it doesn't look like a true Tourbillon. It does feature a rotating globe though. You can have it for a mere 605 grand.

A Patek Phillipe will cost you a bit more...

https://www.truefacet.com/patek-phil...RoCjvUQAvD_BwE

and doesn't even have a globe and the movement isn't visible from the face of the watch. Note that this French company spells it "Tourbillion".

For sheer visual impact, I like this cheapy Bovet...

https://www.truefacet.com/bovet-gran...hoCKJEQAvD_BwE

for only 200 grand, a mere pittance. :-)
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    If you wanted one that you could actually see the movement in then you may have to buy a Chinese made one
    Chinese manufacturer SEA-GULL presents a dual-axis tourbillon. Please read this exclusive report from China written by my contributor Logan – Watch-Insider.com

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    this if far more accurate than I need and I don't have to wear it

Thread Information