Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Towing weight distribution display

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    E track,,, have always wondered if uni-strut could be made into light duty poor man's e track.
    Eric
    I'd considered different pre-formed structure materials like Unistrut, 80/20, and the square street sign tubing with a lot of holes. Concern is attachment footprint is not advantageous being 'inside' the load, unlike E-track. And I found new 10 footers on craigslist for $12.
    And with Unistrut, there aren't convenient matching and load rated accessories.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    When you do a great job securing a load.

This was a mile from my house. I passed it on the way home from work. I wanted to get a picture, but I was afraid the cops would catch me playing with my phone.

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 16, 2019), MeJasonT (Aug 19, 2020), Seedtick (Jun 14, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Loss of a wonderful rolling POS trailer; certain on a par with goods it contained. Poking along to start with, not realizing every oscillation increased a couple inches right and left.
    "Oh, it'll even out by itself. I haul stuff ALL the time. . .People find out I've got a truck, always want my help".
    Well pal, that's been solved, officially off the hook permanently.
    Not with 50% payload behind the axle, especially a tilt bed. And not with the tongue so elevated, magnifying errant distribution!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 19, 2020)

Thanks
    It's too bad that this happened so quickly that the driver didn't have time to react!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Kast week we were cleaning up around the place and loaded 5,200 lbs of short iron in my little single axle trailer. I was good with the tires 10 ply rating trailer rated 80 PSI good for 6,400 for the pair and had about 1500 of the weight on the tongue Good with the tongue weight I built the trailer What I wasn't good with was the fact that the receiver hitch I normally use was on the other truck and that truck was 200 miles away. So I had to use my shorty hitch which made the front of the trailer about 10" higher than normal.
    Usually I would be cruising along with a load this size at around 70 to 75MPH with no worries but I was only running along at 45 to sometimes 50 the Wife commented that at this rate it was going to take a couple hours to get to the scrap yard.
    I said the little trailer is on good tires and strong stiff springs and following rock steady there is probably only around 4000 lbs on the axle but I don't have my regular receiver so the front is up in the air it make take us a while longer to get there but the key to this is we will get there.
    She said I was just wondering why you weren't driving faster like you usually do is all.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 19, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Nice demonstration of tongue weight.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

aussie (Jul 14, 2019), baja (Jul 9, 2019), ednja (Jul 15, 2019), Rangi (Jul 10, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 8, 2019), that_other_guy (Jul 13, 2019)

Thanks
    Saw a real life demonstration on the thruway the other day. Back heavy trailer that wanted to fishtail when changing lanes. After seeing this thread I knew to stay back :-)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    [QUOTE=MeJasonT;133419]I worked on a rock dumping vessel with an ROV, we were sent home whilst the ship went to the quarry for more rocks. The ship hit an underwater mountain in the Norwegian fjords, capsized and sank with the loss of half its crew. A few years the ship was recovered and the 3 ton ROV was still strapped to the deck with 2 ton ratchet straps.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Rocknes_(2001)

***** theartofdredging.com/rocknescapsizing.htm]The Art of Dredging - Rocknes_capsizing ****** is now broken

Sorry guys i had to repost to fix a link

https://www.hydro-international.com/...ying-the-blame

making the point of the beauty of cargo straps, never underestimate these things they are rock solid when used properly
    haa ha pun intended.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Aug 19, 2020 at 05:47 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 19, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    E track,,, have always wondered if uni-strut could be made into light duty poor man's e track.
    Eric
    I did exactly this with my pickup truck. I have a length of unistrut fastened along the top of each side of the bed. I have a couple of 3/8-16 unistrut nuts in each one with a forged lifting eye in each. This gives me moveable tie-down points along each side of the truck bed and I can add as many as I might need for any given load. I've never gone to the trouble to research the specs on unistrut but I expect that it is probably not suitable for really heavy loads. However it is very handy and plenty strong for securing the sorts of things I toss back there.

Thread Information